• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Mainsail

Brookelise

Member II
Does anyone have recommendations for a good sailmaker to replace the mainsail for an E34? Has anyone measured the dimensions of the sail? Thanks.

cawinter

Member III
North :)

I had them do a NorDac cross-cut sail with two full and two partial battens a few years ago. Just great! The batten tips first slid out of the pockets, but I got wider ones. Wash and check every year and it looks as good as on e day one (almost).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wherever you sail, there's probably a good sailmaker nearby...

Our main is somewhat near yours in size and the shape and set are still excellent, and it's over a decade in age.
It's a UKSails dacron with the previously mentioned "two plus two" batten scheme. Loose footed.
So do some shopping and comparing.

If it's been a looong time with that same "old" sail, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the increase in drive accompanied by less heeling that a new sail will give your boat.

Loren

lindaloo

Member II
Reef Point

My E34 mainsail has a first reef point only 3 ft or so up and I use it most of the time.
A fact of life in Strait of Georgia / Puget Sound is variable winds (or no wind) and strong winds are often isolated because of topography. I hate shaking out the reef just to put it in again 15 minutes later. Then shake it out again ......
With my big overlapping genoa, my boat goes just as fast in winds of 8 to 12kn when reefed and points just as high.
Anyway, works for me. See what your sailmaker says. Which gets back to the point of your thread ..............

I also have 2 partial / 2 full battens. Not loose footed though.

Rob

Last edited: