• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Heat Exchanger Zinc size.

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Does anyone know the size of zinc to fit the 3'' heat exchanger on my M25XP. I found one source that specified a zinc 1 1/4 inches long which I feel is too short. Thought someone out there probably has this info. Thanks for any help. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I'm a bit late to reply, but on my M25 with a 3" exchanger, I use a 2" zinc from which I cut off 1/2" to 5/8" before installation. That puts it in the ballpark for the 1 1/4" which you were quoted.

I think that the chambers inside the exchanger prevent anything longer than 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" from being installed"

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I also wind up cutting down zincs even for my 2" exchanger. And it takes a steel vise and a hacksaw....

markvone

Sustaining Member
My 3" Diameter SEAKAMP H/E takes a 1 3/8" zinc

I upgraded my Universal 5424 to the 3" Seakamp H/E last winter. H/E zinc is 1 3/8" trimmed down from 2" using a Dremel and cutoff wheel. My notes say the 1 1/2" H/E zinc that came with the new H/E was hitting the tube bundle inside the H/E.

Mark

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I picked ours up at West Marine and cut them of with my Dremel.

Last edited:

Dan Callen

Contributing Member III
Heat Exchanger Zinc

Does anyone know the size of zinc to fit the 3'' heat exchanger on my M25XP. I found one source that specified a zinc 1 1/4 inches long which I feel is too short. Thought someone out there probably has this info. Thanks for any help. Dan Callen Ericson 32-3 Andiamo

Thanks for all your input regarding the size for the zincs. I actually found the correct size on the Catalina site and ordered from their store.......only 2.37 ea. on sale. They are 1 3/4" long so I expect I will have to cut 1/4" off or so. I would think the zinc would have to make contact within the exchanger somewhere much like the shaft zinc does but I am not an engineer. Thanks for all the info and I will let you know if I run into any issues. Dan Callen Ericon32-3 Andiamo

clp

Member III
It makes contact in the threads. Do not put teflon tape on the threads to seal it, as it will insulate the zinc making it useless. You get long zinc life that way though..

mfield

Member III
wasted zinc

I just chopped off an inch from the standard 1/2 inch x 2 inch "Martyr" zinc from WestMarine so they would fit in the heat exchanger. Previously I bought a couple of zincs online based on the parts list from the MX25 manual. These turned out to be the wrong size.

So now I have wasted chunks of zinc. Is there anything I can usefully do with them? Perhaps attach them to the keel bolts, used them as a necklace, or throw them at seagulls sitting on the sails?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought a bunch of 6" zincs which were on sale for half what we usually pay.

So my necklace is much more impressive than Mfield's.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Bolt Cutters

The zinc is soft. I shorten mine with an old pair of bolt cutters.

But I have no idea of anything useful to do with the left over bits either.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Went to change the hex zinc on my 87 E34 yesterday. I have owned the boat 1 1/2 years now and am finally getting to the bottom of my "to-do" list. From the PO's records, this zinc was last changed about 2 1/2 years and 200 engine hours ago, long overdue. After seeing the responses to this thread, I got my 11/16 socket wrench, towels and a small bucket and located the spare zinc from the PO. This was 1/4 NPT x 3/8 dia x 2 inches long and needed a 9/16 socket. It looks like the original hex from Ericson and the Universal M25XP but this zinc is much different that those described above. When I removed the old zinc there was nothing left, just some tiny powdered zinc buried in the internal threads of the NPT cap. The new spare fit perfectly. A trip to my local chandlery showed a replacement zinc rod with the correct threads. I cleaned out the remaining zinc with a pic and screwed the new one in, cut it with a hacksaw to the 2" overall length. Hope I do not have too much corrosion and will check again in three months.

Still do not know why my hex zinc is different from all those described above.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good, now you can get on with the monthly or so examination of the heat exchanger zinc.

It might be a good idea to pull the end caps and clean out any old zinc pieces or other glop, and to consider replacing the end-cap gaskets, which are also on the maintenance schedule.

Maine Sail, as usual, educated me on this stuff. Scroll down to something like "Autopsy of Westerbeke Heat Exchanger."

http://www.marinehowto.com/

HerbertFriedman

Member III
thanks Christian, will do. One more question, I know not to use teflon tape on the NPT threads for the zinc and so far I have not seen any leak from the bare threads but I did tighten the cap quite a bit. Is there a problem using a sealer on the threads/ From my old days with an Atomic 4, Don Moyer, the A4 guru, always recommended Permatex Aircraft Sealer, probably because he was an aircraft mechanic before turning to the A4 business. That sealer is a thick, black gooey liquid, I dont want to insulate the threads but I would like to tighten the cap less that I am doing now. Any advice on this subject?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand it the connection of zinc threads to HX body is to be direct, so no Teflon etc. I just crank mine on till no drips.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm a little late to the party but I just replaced mine after 100 hrs so here it is for my M25XP

Heat exchanger zinc West marine CME1H needs cut to 2" total length

Last edited:

Shadsboat

Member I
Is it the same zinc for the 42HP Universal on a 1984 E38

Am new owner of 1984 E38 with Universal 4 banger. Previous owner stated the heat exchanger zinc should be replaced. I am wondering if it is the same...
Thanks,
Paul

mfield

Member III
I think the E38 has a Universal M40 engine rather than the more common M25 on most other Ericsons. This has a similar heat exchanger this link

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/c...ervice=200154&printoperators=200157&comment1=

should give you an idea what the heat exchanger looks like at the rear of the engine. I would not trust the parts listed as the zinc, they were wrong for my boat.

I recommend that you locate the heat exchanger. Turn off the engine water inlet, remove the zinc (with a ziplock bag to catch the 1/2 pint of water that will come out) and take the brass holder and what remains of the zinc to a westmarine to find the right replacement.

It a little tricky getting the plug out with not enough space for a socket wrench, I found the rachet wrench in the following link:

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-3-p...p-00987659000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

to be very helpful in the tight space.

I have to change this zinc every 3 months. You do have to cut them off to about 1.25 inches long.