• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-38 Chainplate Service

u079721

Contributing Partner
From a preventative maintenance point of view I really should rebed the chain plates/U-bolts on my 1989 E-38. But frankly I haven't a clue as to how to begin. There are no screws on the plates themselves. I suppose I am supposed to loosen the tie rods in the cabin, but before I go taking things apart I wanted to try and get some confirmation that this is the way to go.

Anybody have some experience to share?

Thanks

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Tie rods

Yes, the tie rods are the adjustment mechanism. You may want to mark the thread location with a waterproof marker before you loosen them so you can return them to the same setting when you reinstall. The only need to do this is if you are leaking water-if not, let it be!

Don't get any on ya!
S

whoulihan

For whatever it's worth - I have just completed this task on my '82 38. It was a bear. It ought to be a key preventative measure task.
Mine only showed some signs of leaking, but afterwards I began to put the pieces together and saw numerous signe. For example the zippers begin to corrode and almost unnoticeable water stains begin to show.
Once any leak begins (and I don't think there was much bedding by Ericson) the aluminum backing plates begin to deteriorate (electrolysis). I finally had to drill holes in the decks and drive the backing plates away from the overhead! It was no easy job.
So I suggest you do it, and don't wait - it will only be a bigger pain. I actually had to replace the port side Upper and Intermediate backing plate as it was deeply corroded.
I would be glad to discuss - I am at 619-297-9896 evenings (San Diego) - I would say weekends too, however I'm usually on my way to the boat by about 9 or 10.

NaplesbobT

Steve: How did you do on your chainplate repair? I may have to do the same thing, and I am in about the same situation as you were, going in. It appears that this could turn in to a major job. I believe at this point that mine are still in good condition. Before I start trying to get into the support bulkhead, is there a way to attempt a re-bedding. What approach did you wind up taking ?>
NaplesbobT@aol.com

u079721

Contributing Partner
Sorry, but I never got around to doing it before selling the boat. But if you do a search on this group you will find details in the archives, and even some photos of chainplates that had to be rebuilt.