• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dock Lines

gadangit

Member III
We are moving our boat to another marina which requires our boat to have 3/4" dock lines and 5/8" spring lines. We are in hurricane country, so maybe that is reasonable. But doesn't that sound a little excessive? Or should I be grateful?

Chris

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I hope you've got bigger cleats on deck than I do.

...and that they have something bigger than 1/2" washers as backing plates :rolleyes:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We have 1/2" dock lines on our E30+ with a displacement of 9,000 lbs. I don't think 5/8" is excessive for an E39. It will be interesting to see what others think. You could also google dock lines, and I'm sure they would indicate what diameter line for a given size boat.

Frank

gadangit

Member III
We have 1/2" dock lines on our E30+ with a displacement of 9,000 lbs. I don't think 5/8" is excessive for an E39. It will be interesting to see what others think. You could also google dock lines, and I'm sure they would indicate what diameter line for a given size boat.

Frank

Well Samson Ropes thinks that a 3/4" dock line, they have three types to choose from, is good for a 61-75' boat. I could see 5/8", but the local chandlery doesn't even carry a double braid 3/4" dock line. They've got some 3 strand stuff though which seems like it would be tough on my delicate little hands.

Chris

Frank Langer

Chris,

The three strand line apparently stretches more than the nylon double braid and is felt to be less stressful on the cleats as a result. I think the three strand may also be a bit softer line, so might not be too hard on the delicate hands. :)

Frank

gadangit

Member III
Chris,

The three strand line apparently stretches more than the nylon double braid and is felt to be less stressful on the cleats as a result. I think the three strand may also be a bit softer line, so might not be too hard on the delicate hands. :)

Frank

Isn't that what makes it good anchor rode? That is true, at 10% elongation 3 strand has 5.5% elastic elongation vs. 3.5% for the double braid. I'm not exactly sure what that means? I wonder how much difference that makes on a line that is probably only 10' long cleat to cleat.

I'll have Lisa handle the dock lines, she is much tougher than me. I'll dilly dally in the cockpit looking for the keys.

Frank Langer

Hi Chris,

I don't know how much difference the extra stretch makes in a relatively short dock line, but anything that reduces stress on part of the boat is good! :egrin:
I think the three strand may also be a bit cheaper than the double braid nylon, which is a nice added benefit.

It sounds as if you have the job assignment all sorted out!! :egrin:

Frank

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
We are moving our boat to another marina which requires our boat to have 3/4" dock lines and 5/8" spring lines. We are in hurricane country, so maybe that is reasonable. But doesn't that sound a little excessive? Or should I be grateful?

I use 3/4" lines on my E-34 and don't have any problems with chafe. Of course, I'm not in hurricane country, but I used to have chafe problems with 1/2" dock lines on my smaller previous boat using the same dock cleats. I do use a snubber on the stern line which is fairly short.