• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

replacement canvas near Annapolis or anyplace

steven

Sustaining Member
mid winter blues. Indigo is stuck in the ice in her slip on the Severn.
Can't even get to her work on her.
Hope to be out on the Bay shortly after the thaw. early March?

How are you others holding up?

I need new replacement canvas for my existing dodger - anyone know a cheap way to do that?
Most of the local canvas makers seem to charge about the same for re-canvassing as starting from scratch.
Is it possible to send the existing dodger as a pattern to a seamstress in India.

--Steve

Emerald

Hi,

where on the Severn are you? I'm between Clements and Saltworks creeks (Epping Forest) at our little community marina. I'm looking out the window at the river iced over as I type this. :esad:

I have a co-worker who used to be with one of the big shops and now does canvas on her own as a second to her day job. She redid my sail cover and dodger two seasons back, and it worked out really well at a fraction of the cost. Contact me back channel, and I can provide more information to connect you if interested.

steven

Sustaining Member
David,

sent you a private email re canvas person. Thanks

I am directly across the Severn from Sherwood, on Asquith Cr.
We have 1/2" - 2+" depending on where you are on the creek.

Haven't seen this since the 1980s (when it was much worse - there was winter ice boating on Round Bay and Coast Guard icebreakers had to open the Chesapeake to get fuel oil into Baltimore harbor).

--Steve

Emerald

Yes, I remember the Bay freezing over and folks walking/driving across at the Bay Bridge! It was actually 1977 that we got really frozen:

While conditions may bottle up the commercial fleet, give Annapolis Yacht Club's hardy " Frostbite" sailors second thoughts and delight ice fishermen, they are not likely to approach the winter of 1976-1977, nicknamed, "The Big Freeze."

From the mouth of the Susquehanna River to the Patuxent River — an 80-mile stretch — the bay's surface froze solid, with ice 15 inches thick in many spots. A dentist commuted each day by ice skates from his Arnold home to his Annapolis office. Ice floes muscled against Sharps Island Light, leaving it with a permanent 15-degree list. Tilghman Island watermen cut holes in the ice to reach the oyster bars until their saws and boats were overwhelmed

read more here:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...106_1_three-boats-chesapeake-bay-ice-breaking

Winters not over yet..... :0

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Frozen in a pond in Hillsmere off the South River. At one point that year on a crystal day the sun was rising while a full moon was setting, both reflected on the ice. Magic.
glinda Alex 6.jpg

markvone

Sustaining Member
Winter - A great time to re-wire your boat!

I'm up Back Creek at Severn House (across from Bert Jabins) this winter in a new slip. My new slip backs directly to the land so I have just a short finger pier to get on board which has been workable with all the snow. The creek has been frozen only in the center due to the bubblers for the slips on both sides, but further up it'a been close to bank to bank.

I've been cleaning up, re-wiring and labelling all my AC and DC wiring with two heaters keeping me toasty inside. I'm almost done so it better warm up as most of my remaining jobs involve being outside the cabin!

David, Sending you private email re:canvas person.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 77

steven

Sustaining Member
new dodger pic

new dodger and binnacle cover (thank you for vendor recommendations) :)

Indigo new dodger.jpg

steven

Sustaining Member
yes, worked out well. probably more work in the future (e.g., Bimini). thanks for the referral.