• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Blisters and Chain Plates

lauriefr

I am considering buying an Ericson 27. We are considering a 1971 Ercison 27; however, it had a problem with chain plates and was demasted a few years back. As well, there were blisters on the botton side of the hull. We are also considering a 1974 Ericson 27 which has no signs of either of these problems. does anyone know if there is a problem with the Ericsons in terms of fiberglass or is the 1971 boat an exception? Thanks in advance,

Laurie

escapade

Inactive Member
blisters & chain plates

Yes, some manufacturers all have boats that may or may not blister at some time, usually on a day that ends in "Y". Which is to say that some Ericson's do indeed get blisters.
If you can find a boat that has no history of blistering (osmostic blistering), it's definitely prefered over a boat that has blisters. Same for the chain plates. Bad chain plates generally indicate deck leakes, which means that not only do you need to address the chain plate repair, but also repair the rotten coring in the deck and then stop the leaking.
The purchase price is dictated by the condition of the vessel. The less you have to repair, the more it's worth. All these things can be fixed, but there is a cost for materials & the labor if you cannot do the work yourself. This can add up to several thousand dollars depending on the boat & how extensive the damage is.
One of the best investments you can make is a marine survey of the prospective vessel prior to purchase. This will give you a real good idea of the extent of the damage, if any, and you can then work out a selling price based on that information.
I hope I haven't confused the issue for you. I have owned 3 different Ericson's, done bottom repairs on all 3 to some extent, but bought them at prices reflecting the work necessary. The more work they needed, the lower the purchase price. Generally speaking, I feel that the Ericson line is a product worth repairing because the overall level of quality is quite high as compared to some other makes. I am also able to do all the work myself, so that make a big difference, also.
Good luck in your boat hunting.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Freyja had serious blistering when I got her back in 1997. I had a yard do the job - peeling the outer layers, drying for a month, then adding new glass. It cost $6500, no recurrence of the blisters since - I agree with the previous post that an Ericson is worth repairing.
Leaking chainplates are a constant battle, damage is likely if the boat has not been properly looked after, even in southern California.
Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972