• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder Packing Gland Identification and Service

Glenn McCarthy

Glenn McCarthy
After reading through this thread and many others on the 'net, I'm scratching my head on a new question - There is a grease stud at the top of the rudder post in the deck flange housing, but I do not find a grease stud in the flange where the flax packing goes, or in the fiberglass tube that goes down to the hull. I mean why be able to grease up top, and not grease on the bottom of the rudder shaft? Was there a grease stud there at one time and is it possible it was fiberglassed over?

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
After reading through this thread and many others on the 'net, I'm scratching my head on a new question - There is a grease stud at the top of the rudder post in the deck flange housing, but I do not find a grease stud in the flange where the flax packing goes, or in the fiberglass tube that goes down to the hull. I mean why be able to grease up top, and not grease on the bottom of the rudder shaft? Was there a grease stud there at one time and is it possible it was fiberglassed over?
While greasing the bottom of the rudder post is desirable, I don't think I'd want a zerk fitting at the bottom of the rudder tube as this is below the waterline.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Was there a grease stud there at one time and is it possible it was fiberglassed over

Judging by other reports, not all boats had a Zerk installed on the rudder tube. You can always add one if necessary.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Stopped by the boat yard to measure the foil so we can get the Genoa luff shortened. Was never able to get a full hoist last year.
While there I checked on the slushy bilge, guess Walmart -50 antifreeze in the bilge got diluted by rouge water in the grid and didn’t like our subzero freeze. Gotta love the Midwest winters.

Christian’s awesome blog about the rudder post came to mind and decided to dive into the lazzerette and check it out. For the life of me I couldn’t remember the contortion routine to sneak back there. Finally pretzeled my body and wrenched my head under the engine control. Damn I forgot to let anyone know I was there and not sure I could get my 6’ 4” body back out. Back on track, found the packing gland all intact and about 1/8” between the 2 flanges. Bonus! Can snug them if needed. Also located the elusive grease fitting and looks new and has fresh grease on it. So added to the ever growing “to do” list is greasing the rudder post. Needless to say I did escape

Never ceases to amaze me of the wealth of knowledge here and the great experiences the members share.

Last edited:

Captainken

Member I
rudder packing gland service

I have and E32 1987. I repacked my rudder shaft gland but mine has the packing in the lower part(in the top of the rudder tube). The upper part has a smaller diameter flange against the shaft which fitted down onto the packing and into the lower, female part compressing the packing against the shaft it as the three bolts were tightened. I added compression nuts to the tightening bolts so I could hold them in place not fully seated. This way I maintained a specific pressure which sealed the shaft while still allowing the rudder to turn freely. I replaced the rusted away grease fitting with a new one threaded directly into the rudder tube next to the old one. With the gland bolts loosened, I pumped most of a 14 oz. tube of water proof grease into the rudder tube until it oozed past the gland and also showed at the rebuilt brass bearing at the bottom, where the rudder meets the boat(vessel was on the hard). The rudder shaft had no signs of old grease and I suspect the boat was originally launched without grease in the tube! That would contribute to the rusting away of the grease fitting, especially since the grease fitting in the shaft top, cockpit bearing was intact. The original owner was very meticulous and thorough and I suspect he never realized exactly where the water was coming in and discoloring the floor and furniture bottoms.

Also, salt water had corroded the two lower bolt holes of the 4 bolt attachment assembly of my quadrant(see quadrant corrosion thread). I was able to repair the quadrant with the help of a machine shop saving hundreds of dollars which a new, custom made one would have cost. If anyone has a similar problem, I'll post details of the repair.