• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 trailer or the contact info for someone who has had one made

Scott Abbott

Member III
Decided owing a trailer to bring her own to work on during the winter is now a MUST. How do I get a trailer? I know that at one time these boats came with trailers...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For a few mentally ill weeks I was hunting for a trailer for a Cornish Crabber, an English pocket cruiser which is easy to fall for but hap[pens to be exactly the wrong boat for where I live or how I use a boat.

Craigslist was the most productive source of leads for all sorts of boat trailers.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Sailboat trailers come up from time to time on craigslist. About half of them are sketchy home-built things though. So far, I haven't had the spare cash handy when a reasonable one turns up.

Flat-bed "car carrier" trailers are much more common and some of them have the load capacity for a sailboat. I already had one, so I built a cradle for the boat and chained it to the trailer with load-binders. Plus a few extra boat stands. There was considerable over-hang, fore and aft. I had to carefully work out whether there would be sufficient clearance for the tow vehicle at all angles. The flatbed truck worked well, but there was not enough clearance to use the suburban.

This also required an over-sized vehicle permit, which was not difficult to get (through a trucking agent - not through the DMV office.) If you have to traverse more than one state, an agency is the only way to go. Maybe not needed for an E27?

Of course, one drawback to this is that you then cannot use your flatbed trailer for anything else while the boat is sitting on it. I have imagined an all-steel cradle that one could jack up onto outrigger legs (like a fertilizer bin) and drive the trailer out from underneath. Then jack the whole thing down to the ground. So far it's just an idea though.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have the dimensions for the bunks for an e29 this would work for a cradle or trailer. All measurements are made from a trailer frame that is all level and you should have some adjustment in the bunk supports. The D ring is bolted through the bottom two screw holes for the strap down the bow (senior moment and can't remember what the thing is called) The E27 should be close in setup just the back two bunks might need to be moved forward or taller. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Trailer  dimensions.png
    Trailer dimensions.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 129

CyberTrucker

Under Restoration
I built a trailer to haul my E32-2 and it was a bit spendy. Because axle location and installation is critical I hired the work out to a local trailer shop. Total bill for that part of the project, including new wheels and tires, was $5500. The basic frame I used came from a trailer house (I scrapped the original axles). I added longitudinal frame members along with adjustable stanchions and pads; the total cost was somewhere around $8000. I had to do this because there's no one local that moves boats and, with all the work I have to do, the boat needed to be at home rather than 130 miles away in Seward. In your case, you might consider setting up supports and hiring someone to move the boat. I know this company isn't local to you (http://www.associatedboat.com/) but if you visit their site you'll notice they have a trailer with hydraulic arms that can pick up, move, and unload a boat all without the necessity of a travel lift. You might give them a call to see if they've got some suggestions. One thing I'd add, and you might already know this, I was told the side and bow supports purpose is to keep the boat upright but the weight of the boat should be on the keel. Hope this helps!

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
trailers......

I am in touch with a guy in KS that will build a sailboat trailer to fit your specific boat.. He comes
highly recommended and his prices seem in line with the market..I am going to have him do one for
our 1985 E28+ ... ( for around $3,500 ) he will powder coat and paint for you as well....

Let me know if anyone wants the contact info...Cheers.....:nerd: