• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A solution for more storage on 38-200

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Thought I'd share this idea...

When we had new cushions made we had the aft cabin cushion divided into three parts. The smallest part is a square just larger than the "inspection" cover over the shaft. The other parts are easy to see in the video. Aside from allowing the storage bins the smaller cushions make it much easier to access the shaft area and to move the cushions out completely when needed.

We installed fixed pad eyes for the straps. The pad eyes above the fuel tank fit flush between the cushions and are not noticeable when the cushion is in place instead of the boxes. The pad eyes on the divider between the cabin and lazarette are only really noticeable when you're laying down.

The boxes can be found at the link below. They come in three sizes. IIRC it's the largest and smallest that stack together almost exactly the same height as the space below the cockpit sole. With the two "stacks" of boxes in place there is just enough space for the sea-anchor kit (link below) to stow aft of the stacks. By pulling out the sea-anchor bag I can access and open the hatch for the steering gear.

We tried this arrangement overnight last week and found there is still plenty of room for sleeping.

Storage bins (note: this is only one size...) http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50759&classNum=50760#.UuXXNmTTn-k

Sea Anchor kit http://www.para-anchor.com/pro.offsanchor.html

storage.jpg

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Great idea Ryan. We have the same aft cabin and accessing the fuel tank, battery box or hatch over the shaft is a pain when I have to lift the entire double berth cushion.

It it makes good sense dividing up the cushions. Bravo!

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Great idea Ryan. We have the same aft cabin and accessing the fuel tank, battery box or hatch over the shaft is a pain when I have to lift the entire double berth cushion.

It it makes good sense dividing up the cushions. Bravo!

Thanks Rick. FWIW we also divided up the v-berth cushion into three parts. One division runs athwartship to form a forward cushion slightly larger than the most forward storage area (where we store anchor chain). The other division runs fore-aft separating the remaining aft-most cushion into a left and right cushion. This makes for very easy access to the storage areas. We slept on it last weekend and did not notice any difference from when it was just two long cushions (other than the improved access...)