White smoke and un burnt fuel slick from my Yanmar at higher RPMs

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
White smoke and un burnt fuel slick from my Yanmar at higher RPMs

I have a little 8 HP Yanmar 1GM10. As you may know it is easy to bump the throttle up in the cockpit of a E-27. I had a crew member accidentally kick it up to over 3000 rpm and soon after it started knocking and I noticed white smoke and un burnt fuel slick from my Yanmar at the higher RPMs. As soon as I throttled down to below 2700 rpms the symptoms stopped. The engine was cold and we were bucking into the 20 mph winds. This is actually the second time I have noticed this happen in the last month. Should I be worried about anything and what is the ideal cruising rpms for this 8 hp diesel pushing this 7000 lb boat.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
don't know

Jeff, I am sorry but I don't know very much about deisels. I use a 2-cycle Yamaha outboard on my E26, but I did notice a good article in the Feb. 2004 issue of "Sail" magazine. In the "Ask Sail" section on page 91 of the magazine. The article is titled "Smoky Joe's saloon". I believe their web site is www.sailmagazine.com.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, I read that article.

Thanks Jim,

Yeah, I read that article. I am doing a compression test and changing the injector this weekend with a good mechanic.

Thanks