38-200 Windlass pics

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I posted these a while ago but they were deleted in the hacking purge. They show yet another option for people considering installing a windlass. Happy to answer any questions and as always open to feedback (especially if it helps me avoid problems down the line...) So far the setup has worked well but we haven't had challenging conditions to test it. Thank you to everyone else who posted their own installations. We looked over them many times and the information was invaluable.

IMG_2566.jpgIMG_2573.jpgP1010542.jpgP1010547.jpgIMG_2575.jpg

Lucky Dog

Member III
Nice, you must be night owl.
Where is you chain locker? Does chain/line bind going out or clog coming in?
some what unrelated, what is the tubing for?

mark

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Nice, you must be night owl.
Where is you chain locker? Does chain/line bind going out or clog coming in?
some what unrelated, what is the tubing for?

mark

Yeah, last night was a late one... Fewer interruptions! Our chain locker is in the forward storage compartment of the v-berth. We enlarged the hole between the forepeak and that storage compartment and added glass/epoxy along the inside of the hull and the bulkhead wood for protection. I relocated the limber holes slightly higher and installed a small bilge pump that feeds into the forward drain hole. Not much water gets in there so far and the pump has not had any problems with clogging yet (when needed we wash our chain as it comes up). There is a square of dri-dek at the lowest aft section to create space to allow any water to more easily accumulate.

The first 50' to 100' or so of chain usually slides right into the locker. I installed a narrow PVC pipe in the "crease" of the hull to keep the chain from being pinched and to reduce friction for it to more easily slide aft. Another 100'+ of chain will then rest easily in the forepeak. Any more than that requires someone to occasionally go below and flake the chain aft. But usually we flake all the chain aft simply to keep weight out of the bow. It's no big deal, we had our v-berth cushions designed so the forward cushion is the same size as the lid for the chain locker. Easy access.

When single-handed I usually pull in about 50' then go through the forward hatch to flake, repeat. Or if conditions are completely calm I'll mostly stay below and use the wireless remote. If it's rough I use the engine to reduce the load on the chain while using the windlass switch in the cockpit to control the chain. After I get to the minimal scope that will hold I go below to quickly flake then just let the rest sit in the forepeak until clear of land. It's much easier than it sounds and in my mind worth the benefits of having the chain lower and more aft.

Deploying chain has been no problem so far, free falling or via the windlass, from the chain locker or the forepeak. We have not had many opportunities to test the system yet in deeper anchorages but plan to do so in a few weeks and will post an update if we learn anything useful.

The pipe you see in the pic runs down past the windlass then has a small section angled slightly aft. It's main purpose is to keep the chain and salt spray off the windlass motor/gearbox. So far so good, but again it's relatively new and untested.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Nice! That looks almost exactly like my new set up, except stretched out a bit on your larger boat. Well... (cough) if you can imagine what the sharpie-marks on the deck mean, any way. It has been too freakin cold and/or wet to proceed, since I got the boat home. :rolleyes:

I have a nicro ventilator in the way too, which the PO used for a deck pipe. The plan is to enlarge that hole enough to hold a deck plate, which might provide a way to reach in and manage the rode as needed, without leaving the bow. (As well as a way to reach the nuts on the rest of the hardware up there!)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Im afraid.....

To tell (ask) the Admiral about that wonderful improvement.....yet..

Lets see:

New Bomon ports arriving next week (finally)
Install the outboard davit/lift
Bottom job on the 28th

Seriously Ryan, that looks spectacular! I can't believe you operate your windlass from the v-berth with the remote while single handing.

Too cool (as long as it's safe)..lol! :0

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Nice! That looks almost exactly like my new set up, except stretched out a bit on your larger boat. Well... (cough) if you can imagine what the sharpie-marks on the deck mean, any way. It has been too freakin cold and/or wet to proceed, since I got the boat home. :rolleyes:

I have a nicro ventilator in the way too, which the PO used for a deck pipe. The plan is to enlarge that hole enough to hold a deck plate, which might provide a way to reach in and manage the rode as needed, without leaving the bow. (As well as a way to reach the nuts on the rest of the hardware up there!)

Nice! Make sure to post pics, yeah?!

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
To tell (ask) the Admiral about that wonderful improvement.....yet..

Lets see:

New Bomon ports arriving next week (finally)
Install the outboard davit/lift
Bottom job on the 28th

Seriously Ryan, that looks spectacular! I can't believe you operate your windlass from the v-berth with the remote while single handing.

Too cool (as long as it's safe)..lol! :0

Thanks Rick. I only do the remote thing from below when conditions are ideal, no one anchored nearby, not a lot of mud, etc. But if I wanted to I guess I could also operate the windlass from the aft cabin while taking a nap? :)

Kidding aside the wireless remote is amazing. It works from all points on the boat and there are no cables to store, trip over, or plug in. It's about the same size as a car alarm remote. The only drawback we've found so far is the increased possibility of dropping it overboard. Our "rule" is if the remote is out of the cabin it must be on it's lanyard securely attached to your person. And we plan to carry a spare. Small hassle for the convenience in our opinion. We see it as a backup to the hard wired switch. Here is a pic of the transmitter installation in v-berth space between the edge of the pivoting cabinet and it's "drawer."
windlass remote.jpg

Will you please post pics of your port project as it gets underway? We're jealous! It's on our "want" list which sadly buried beneath a huge "need" list at the moment... Your boat is gonna be even more amazing with all this month's projects! Good luck!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Thanks Rick. I only do the remote thing from below when conditions are ideal, no one anchored nearby, not a lot of mud, etc. But if I wanted to I guess I could also operate the windlass from the aft cabin while taking a nap? :)

Kidding aside the wireless remote is amazing. It works from all points on the boat and there are no cables to store, trip over, or plug in. It's about the same size as a car alarm remote. The only drawback we've found so far is the increased possibility of dropping it overboard. Our "rule" is if the remote is out of the cabin it must be on it's lanyard securely attached to your person. And we plan to carry a spare. Small hassle for the convenience in our opinion. We see it as a backup to the hard wired switch. Here is a pic of the transmitter installation in v-berth space between the edge of the pivoting cabinet and it's "drawer."
View attachment 13408

Will you please post pics of your port project as it gets underway? We're jealous! It's on our "want" list which sadly buried beneath a huge "need" list at the moment... Your boat is gonna be even more amazing with all this month's projects! Good luck!

Sure will Ryan. I am hoping I didn't open a HUGE can of worms with this Bomon project....

What model windlass did you go with? Is the remote part of the system on an aftermarket add on?
Thanks

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Make/model

Sure will Ryan. I am hoping I didn't open a HUGE can of worms with this Bomon project....

What model windlass did you go with? Is the remote part of the system on an aftermarket add on?
Thanks

It's a Maxwell RC 10-8 with capstan
http://www.maxwellmarine.com/gen_rc.php

The remote is also Maxwell but a number of companies make essentially the same thing (it's just a remote switch...) It was purchased separately from the windlass.