E29 Rub Rail Replacement

jkenan

Member III
I am in need of replacing the rub rail on my Ericson 29. Suffice it to say that one should never attempt docking with dock to leeward when it's gusting 40 knots! In a different way, I'm kind of glad I have to do this now because the old ones are, well, old - they have oxidized to the point where no matter how much cleaning and scrubbing, they leave white streaks down the topsides every time it rains.

Does anyone one know of a source for a good replacement solution? I'm looking at Taco Marine, and they have a rigid rub rail with a flexible insert that is of a similar profile to the original. If anyone has crossed this bridge before and has some advice, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.

John

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I think there are a number of threads on this. Are you replacing just the insert or the aluminum extrusion too? A vinyl insert that fits perfectly can be had at Catalina-direct, though it is gray instead of white. Their "kit" for the C27 had more than enough to do my E29. If you are taking the extrusion off, it may be a good idea to inspect and caulk the lips of the hull-deck joint at the same time.

BTW: Good job finding something to hit that actually matched up with the rub rail!

jkenan

Member III
Searching other posts led me to Wefco as the original rub rail manufacturer for the E29 (and other models of Ericson). I contacted them, and they confirmed the rigid extrusion is part #422G, and the insert is part #4107 (formerly #788, but is new and improved for less oxidation). 60' of both parts in White will cost $375, and can be delivered in roughly 3 weeks. All their parts are made-to-order. I'm planning on ordering the beginning of February for an early March install.

Thanks,

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Rub Rail

John,
I replaced mine on my 35II a couple of years ago. Wefco made the rails for Ericson and are still using the same extrusion dies.
Wefco was nice to do business with.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bill, did your 35 have an original aluminum rub rail? What did you replace it with--aluminum or one of the insert models?