• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Port chain plate E23

mdgann

'76 E23
The Port chain plate on E23's are fastened to a wood ply bulkhead. The Starboard one is bolted to a thick fiberglass protrusion and appears much more substantial than the Port one. I have been worried about this for some time and now that I have shoveled the snow off the deck and gotten back inside the cabin, my port bulkhead, around the chainplate bolts is discolored from moisture. I have tried the sharp screwdriver test and cannot push it any farther into the discolored areas than I can into the other areas of the wood. I plan on rebedding the chain plates where they go thru the deck, but should I be freaking out about the bulkhead and looking into replacing it. It does not appear to be delaminating or rotting at all, but I'm not sure how long the water has been getting through to it, or if it has been weakened in any way. Any advice or wisdom out there? Thanks

John Bouchard

Member II
I don't know how an E23's chainplates are arranged, but I think that if you can't find "soft' spots, you're probably OK. I'd use an ice pick - sharp tool - to test for wet rot. Re-bed where the chainplate penetrates the deck, or even open it up and epoxy the core area, and then keep an eye on those areas. If all the bolts through the bulkhead are in wood that is not soft, you're probably OK.

I've just replace three bulkheads on my E32, but there was a lot of wet rot/soft areas.

You may want an experienced person to look at it, but it doesn't sound too bad... but don't let it deteriorate further!

Regards,

John B.

richmcn

Member I
bulkheads.

It doesn't look like that hard of a job to replace that bulkhead, rig down of course.

You want them super secure, for all hulls work, and work loose they might on a long beat, say on port tack. Push on them, pull on them, see if there is give and take or if they are in solid.

It looks like four bolts or so along the sole and side of the hole, some marine mahogany maybe 1/2 inch trace a template and cut with a saber saw, etc.

It does not look like it was tabbed to the hull on my boat.

I just wonder if you could use hdpe marine grade instead.

Nice white color, and impenetrable forever by water, and would last a long time.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Rich
Neegee
E-23
Hammond