• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 leak in aft berth

edokarura

Member II
I've got a 1991 Pacific Seacraft Ericson 34 and have got water coming into my aft cabin from the aft locker. It looks like some kind of design or construction flaw. Water in the aft locker drains down to the base of the rudder post and instead of having a place to drain into the bilge it just spills out from behind the aft wall of the cabin and into the cabin itself, soaking the mattress.

Could the designer really have made such an obvious mistake? Was the builder just cutting corners?

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it? The obvious solution - not necessarily the best one - is to remove the aft wall then cut a hole in the floor of the bed between the locker and the aft cabin. This would allow the water to drain into the bilge. (When I peer aft from the fuel tank I can see that there is a groove leading aft towards the locker that, had that drain hole been installed from the beginning, would then be taking all the water that now winds up soaking my bed.)

Your advice is kindly solicited.

Ed

gulfcoaster

Member III
This may help

See if the sink fills up when heeling over on port tack. The sink goes below the waterline and fills which spills all over the floor. The solution is to close the sink drain while sailing. This only happens on 200 series boats with the head aft.

edokarura

Member II
Got an E-34. The head sink does fill up with water when on a port tack and have forgotten to close its seacock. Note to self: don't forget to close the bloody seacock before sailing!:)

See if the sink fills up when heeling over on port tack. The sink goes below the waterline and fills which spills all over the floor. The solution is to close the sink drain while sailing. This only happens on 200 series boats with the head aft.

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Ed - I get condensation in the aft cabin that will wet the mattress if ignored. When I bought my boat the cover on the aft cabin cushion was rotted out. I suspect this could be a bigger problem in Alaska than in northern NY.

During the winter I put the dinghy oars under the mattress to reduce this problem. No problem after the ice in the bilge melts and the lake water gets a little warmer.