• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

White smoke and un burnt fuel slick from my Yanmar at higher RPMs

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I have a little 8 HP Yanmar 1GM10. As you may know it is easy to bump the throttle up in the cockpit of a E-27. I had a crew member accidentally kick it up to over 3000 rpm and soon after it started knocking and I noticed white smoke and un burnt fuel slick from my Yanmar at the higher RPMs. As soon as I throttled down to below 2700 rpms the symptoms stopped. The engine was cold and we were bucking into the 20 mph winds. This is actually the second time I have noticed this happen in the last month. Should I be worried about anything and what is the ideal cruising rpms for this 8 hp diesel pushing this 7000 lb boat.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Coffey

rpm's

Jeff, The RPM'S going over 3k should not be a problem for that motor. It is designed to turn way up there. In fact you should be able to get 3600 rpm out of it. You can even go WOT at the dock in neutral and it will not over rev. If I remember correctly the no load rpm was 3750 and WOT under load is 3600. I generally cruise at about 2800-3200 in our E-27. Call Yanmar they were very helpful when I was bugging them 2 yrs ago. Good Luck,
Gary and Terri
"TerriAnn"
Dunedin, Fl