• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What I'm grateful for...

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I just emailed everyone who made donations to the site for this fund-raising season - and am hoping to pull together some post cards or other notes for those of you who sent checks. Regardless of the method, thank you again for the donations - I cannot tell you now nice it is to be able to provide a place for the Ericson family - and to actually have you guys offer to carry the (financial) weight of the site. It tells me that you find the content here useful - which really makes me happy.

But - the thank yous are not main point of this post. Rather, I wanted to post you guys a message to let you know how I feel about some things....

In late 2003 I sold my E35-3 O Barquinho to a physics professor from Berlin. It was an upsetting time - I felt as though I was putting my child onto the auction block - and I was not happy at the prospect of ending that chapter of my life (as a boat owner). Oddly enough, this site and it's users came came to my support, and when I moved the boat up to Seattle to sell it, I was met at the brokerage dock in Seattle by users of this site; Loren and his wife Kathy - and Craig and his wife Ellen - all there to provide moral support - which was greatly appreciated (and not forgotten).

Also at that time I had just separated from my employer of over ten years, and was seriously debating making a huge course change in my career toward architecture. The future was not clear to me at that time, and part of that was my decision to sell this website to Pacific Seacraft Corporation (PSC) - because I was under the impression that as a manufacturer of Ericson hulls, that they would be the best group to own and manage the site. Soon after however - PSC entered bankruptcy - and reverted ownership of the site back to me...

Now, ten years later, I have completed two masters degrees in planning and architecture, and re-entered the work force - working in a healthcare design firm in Edmonds, WA. 2014 will see beginning of my sitting for the seven Architect Record Exam(s) and the eventual acquisition of my license to practice architecture.

So...what I am grateful for are the many friendships and associations that I have made - both through my sailboat - and through this site - particularly during a time of my life that had many challenges in it.

Once when Meeta and I were waiting in a brew pub in West Seattle to meet Harold and Jessie (of Mischief Maker) for the first time - she asked me if I knew what they looked like - to which I replied no. When she asked how I would know who they were - in a crowded bar - I told her that sailboat owners have a certain appearance - and a certain outlook on life - and that when they came through the door I would see it. Sure enough, in they walked, and I immediately l picked them out of the crowd. I like to think that folks can pick me out in the same manner - as I consider myself an owner even though I don't currently own - that O Barquinho granted me this outlook on the world - one that has been of enormous benefit to me.

Meeta and I have been fortunate enough to meet many of you - from the Puget Sound area - at the annual NW Rendezvous (this year at Maple Bay up in BC!), in the Bay Area, down in San Diego, in CT and NYC, in VA, GA, FL and AL too. We've even been to Trondheim, Norway to see the resurrection of Svein and his Ericson! We really enjoy these meetings and getting to know folks - it really puts a face to the name, etc.

Anyhow - EricsonYachts.org and all of you have meant a great deal to me over the last few years. I've really enjoyed the site (aside from the occasional hacking), getting to know all of you, and look forward to more years ahead. We wish great things for all your families - and hope that 2014 is a wonderful year for all of us as well.

Happy Holidays! :xmas_sant

//sse

Lucky Dog

Member III
Happy holidays to you. You're one cool dude! This is part of my extended family and someday perhaps we will meet.
Mark and Susan

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I am very grateful that you put this site together. I think there is something spiritual about sailing that transforms us. Your continued support of this site without your own boat makes it evident.

Good luck with the next level of achievement you are starting Sean!
Rick