Marketing Logo vs actual Vikings....

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whether referencing a smidgeon of historical accuracy or just marveling at invented images from Hollywood, most of us like the Viking-ness of the Ericson Yachts name and logo...

Since one of my cousins is into tracing family ancestors and such, last fall she asked me to participate in some DNA testing. This is basic science to see what part(s) of the world are in my background.
http://www.ancestry.com/

I have always known that my major family lines came from England and Germany, and just accepted the fact that I'm a boring guy from ordinary backgrounds with a familiar "coming to America" bloodline that migrated from Western Europe.

But now I also know that while this turned out to be true, I am 15% from Scandinavia and even 9% from the Iberian Peninsula!

Small chance of actual viking ships in my distant past, but still......... !
:egrin:

From their web site, I borrowed an image of vessels possibly designed by an ancestor of Bruce King. Maybe, perhaps. Or, George Olson. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, fun stuff, and Happy Holidays to you all.

Loren

Attachments

• Age of Vikings.jpg
    Age of Vikings.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Whether referencing a smidgeon of historical accuracy or just marveling at invented images from Hollywood, most of us like the Viking-ness of the Ericson Yachts name and logo...

Since one of my cousins is into tracing family ancestors and such, last fall she asked me to participate in some DNA testing. This is basic science to see what part(s) of the world are in my background.
http://www.ancestry.com/

I have always known that my major family lines came from England and Germany, and just accepted the fact that I'm a boring guy from ordinary backgrounds with a familiar "coming to America" bloodline that migrated from Western Europe.

But now I also know that while this turned out to be true, I am 15% from Scandinavia and even 9% from the Iberian Peninsula!

Small chance of actual viking ships in my distant past, but still......... !
:egrin:

From their web site, I borrowed an image of vessels possibly designed by an ancestor of Bruce King. Maybe, perhaps. Or, George Olson. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, fun stuff, and Happy Holidays to you all.

Loren

Interesting stuff Loren.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too!

clp

Member III
Wow, that is a super cool image Loren.
As far back as I could trace my heritage, the best guess now is my grandfather immigrated to El Paso because he was about to be prosecuted for riding around Juarez in an old Volkswagen stealing other peoples used laundry. The story died however with my father passing out drunk in the park, and being eaten by a pack of wild dogs. My mother did say though that she thought the VW did have galvanized trash can lids along the sides of the car though, in the drug addled illusion that they would repel bullets similar to the Viking shields..

Haaaha. Yeah, I have no idea of my background at all. It would be nice to envision something pretty cool like the Vikings, but even if I did do this, I'm afraid the results would be similar to most others, uneventful and boring. Without knowing, there's always the possibility though I guess. At least the boat has some 'heritage', as opposed to being named after the vanity of the builder, or a tourist island. At least that is what I tell people..

Vagabond39

Member III
"Our mother, weep not ! it was thou Gave them the wish to wonder ;To leave our coastd and turn their prow Towards night and perils yonder.Thou pointed'st to the open sea, The long cape was thy finger ;The white sail wings they got from thee ; Thou canst not bid them linger ;Yes, they are thine, O mother old ! And proud thou dost embrace them ;Thiu hearest of dangers manifold, But, know'st thy sons can face them.And tears of joy thine eyes will rain, The day the FRAM comes steeringUp fjord again to music strain, And the roarof thousands cheeringFriidtjof NansenFarthest North