• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Fixed Portlights

Gene Stoddard

Fixed Portlight replacement,

The four fixed ports are in need of repair or replacement. Has anyone found a good match for the orginals? I have contacted Pacific Sea Craft, Lewmar, Bomar, Minny's & Select Plastics. Pacific Sea Craft mentioned Mark's Plastics. Still waiting for replies from the others. Mark's Plastics in Corona Calif. can make similar replacements, but with a white plastic frame and possibly a need to modify the opening.

Have not checked on repairing the orginal ports yet. The aluminum frames have a small amount of rot on the outside that I think can be epoxied. But I wonder if the rubber seal for the plastic lens is something that can be found.

Repairing is my second concern, getting the old ports out without any damage especially the inside frame piece. The orginal owner has used a fair amount of caulk on the inside (might there be something that softens caulking?).

All help is greatly appreciated,
Gene
Alia, E34 200 series #271, 1988

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The answer is around here, somewhere...

I am purdy sure that someone in the group with your port model has previously posted the name of the company that rebuilds them. You might try various "port" related searches here and over at the Sailnet.com archives.
:confused:

There is an Ericson 32-3 in my YC that has had a couple of the original ones replaced with Lewmar fixed ports, FWIW. From any distance, no one can tell the difference...
:rolleyes:

I and my wife replaced all 4 on our '88 Olson, but they are Lexan, fastened externally, and unframed.... totally different type from yours.

Best,
Loren in Portland, OR

u079721

Contributing Partner
I just replaced one of the fixed portlights on my 1989 E-38, which I think are the same as those on the E-34. I used a Lewmar 4L, which was not a perfect match, but pretty darn close. You have to be about 10 feet away to notice that the molding is a bit different.

BUT, the price from West Marine, including shipping and taxes, was $350 for ONE portlight. Times four? Ouch! For that I might be tempted to remove all four and see if someone could rebuild them with new seals and plexi.

As for removal, get some new, flexible, thin putty knives, and blunt the burr on the edge to minimize scratches to the gelcoat. Then try heating up the caulk with a heat gun to soften it a bit, and gently pry away.

Gene Stoddard

Thanks for your replies,

I followed up on the Lewmar 4 L&R ports, they seem a good match. Will need to do some measuring of the orginals. The Leware cost per port verses the Mark's Plastics at $190 each might sway one to the plastic framed.

Checked out the Sailnet list, did not find anything specific in the archives.

Thanks for the heat gun tip on the caulking, I'll give it a try.

Thanks again,
Gene

u079721

Contributing Partner
As it happens I just today received my copy of the March 2004 issue of Practical Boat Owner. On p 92 they have an article on "Re-making windows" in which they describe a process for carefully separating the two halfs of a typical fixed portlight and replacing just the plastic, while reusing the frame and gasket. If your only problem is scratched or fogged plastic, this might be a way to go.

I might be tempted to try this next time I need to replace one of mine. But only if I knew that I could buy a new one if I buggered up the frame on the old one!

Gene Stoddard

Thanks for the Practical Sailor tip. I checked their web site but the March 2004 issue is not up for sale as a back issue yet. It will be soon and I'll also see if West Marine has them.

Thanks,
Gene
Alia, Channel Islands, CA

u079721

Contributing Partner
Gene,

You probably just typed the wrong name, but you want Practical Boat Owner, not Practical Sailor.

Cheers,

KG6DHF

Plastic ports

Try using BRASSO metal polish for brass to restore optical clarity to your ports and hatches. It works well and is easy. Then a coat of good wax.

KG6DHF

Brasso for hatches?

The BRASSO did not remove the "craze" in the hatches but made it much less noticable.
I used the Brasso with very good results on both the hatches and the ports on many old boats. Had a yacht maintance business for several years and did restoration projects no one else wanted.
One was so fogged and crazing on the hatches I could not see through them and they were almost like new after a day of rubbing out all 12 ports and 4 large hatches....not an Ericson. Might be easier to use a foam pad with an electric buffer on low speed. Careful if you use a buffer, it can over heat the plastic.
There is a fiberglass conditioner I think called "Big White" that I would use next to feed the plastic then 2 coats of hard wax. Wax it every year and you'll be good for keeps. It worked well on my old boat too.
Let us know how it goes if/when you do it. Have fun!
A.J.