• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What is this part?

ref_123

Member III
Hmm... I happen to know a thing or two about Russian trains by virtue of living there most of my life and doing a lot of trips across USSR. Can't remember such handles, unless we are talking before WWII.

But then, a legend sounds good, so I'll not challenge it, just on a basis of sounding good :) Let's say my memory got fuzzy.

Regards,
Stan

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
Next Stop: Building a Russian Passenger Train

Anyone know where I can get the rest of the parts to build a Russian passenger train? I still can't find anywhere clever to install it on the Ericson. It really would make a great handrail if I could only find somewhere in need of a handrail. I guess it will be another example of creating a need to fit the materials on hand. (Something I'm very good at)

Thanks Ray! I'm making great progress on the boat! Without the help and experience of the members here, I'd be completely in the dark. (Of course, they weren't very helpful identifying the Russian passenger train handhold :D. I should have the bulkhead repaired in time for my March voyage up the Bay.

-Dean

ref_123

Member III
Totally off-topic

Speaking of "the rest of the train"... A very old Russian joke:

CIA managed to steal documentation and full set of details for a top-secret Soviet fighter-jet. Assembled. Result is not a jet, but a train engine. WTF?! Tried again. Same result.

Finally, they kidnapped a foreman from the factory that makes these planes. He asked to think for a night. In the morning, agents see an assembled jet!

"But - HOW?" - "Simple... last item in the assembly instructions was to use a file to get to precise specifications..."

Just a bit of an old Soviet folk humor. Not without a hint of wisdom about what to do with a handle :)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Morphing into.....

Q: How does a Russian joke start?
A: By looking over your shoulder....

Q: What do you call a gassy Russian?
A: Vladimir Tootin

Okay! Now we read........:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My guess would be a guard rail for a stove/heater or other item that you would not want to bump into....

//sse

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
If that is part of a train then I don't think I want to run into whatever it is attached to, just in case it's original separation was not complete or the rest of the train comes looking for it's missing pieces!:0

Glyn Judson

Is: Stream of consciousness Was: A curved guard of some sort

All, Now that the function of the curved bar has been identified, and tagging onto Sean's guess, I'd like to share an installation decision I made for my cabin heater. We have an old propane Force 10, 5,000 BTU bulkhead heater aboard the Dawn Treader on the port, forward cabin bulkhead. For those not familiar with this model, it takes a small 1" diameter stack and in my case, I chose to use 3/4" copper pipe instead of the recommended stainless tubing. Regardless of the material, that stack can get hot, and therein lies the answer to my initial concern as to how to guard against grabbing for it to maintain balance. It turns out that good old Mother Nature solved the problem for me. When passing by that heater when fired up, subconsciously there is no question that the stack is hotter than a $2 pistol. Apparently some primordial instinct buried way down at the base of our brain stem appears to tell us to avoid an intense heat like that. We have never even been tempted to reach for that hot pipe under any circumstance but just to be safe I fitted a 24"(?) teak hand rail vertically, just inboard of the stack. That gets used all the time. Happy Holidays to all, Glyn & Marilyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Steve Wall

Member II
Could it have been a PolishTrain?

On the lighter side...

An entertainer friend I met in Kosrae wrote a song about Polish Trains. Probably the same as a Russian Train. I didn't catch the very beginning but I think you get the gist!

[video=youtube;41M44HkiGfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41M44HkiGfE[/video]

Crazy Canadian!