• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e29 chainplates

popeye1128

I have recently purchased (free)a 1975 e29,this is not my first sailboat I had a s2 26 I sold last year.THE boat has been sitting for 10 years and has some water in it.Ive rebuilt a couple of boneyard boats before and this one isnt that bad,my question is
about all the chainplates,how are they atached,I would like to check them but i dontknow how,are theyy only glassed in to the surface of the hull or are they inbedded into the hull when the hull is created.are there any other problems also that I should be looking for.:confused:

Mike T

Member I
Hi Popeye
You may be able to get more information on your E29 from Pam King at the Bruce King Yachts.
I recently puchased constuction prints for my 1978 E30-2 from them, they had complete details on chainplate installation. Prints were $10 each and they had ten different prints for my model Ericson. Pam can give you a list of what print are available for your E29. There is a wealth of information on them, well worth the price. I was actually suprised I was still able to get prints for a vessel that has been out of production for 25 years.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Popeye:

Welcome! I purchased an 1977/78 E29 last September. The marine survey found only minor problems but that's not uncommon with a boat that has only been used on fresh water and has been somewhat maintained. I discussed the chainplates with the marine surveyor. Basically, there are imbeded in the hull (not bulkhead) and "should last longer than the boat." The chainplate covers are another story. I have some prints of the boat but they are basically larger versions of what is attached to the Owner's Manual available on this site. There is also a posting on this site about an E27 that had a chainplate snap. However, it is my understanding that the E27-9 series setup is different than other models. If you talk to Pam King plaes post what's available and how to get in touch with her. There isa Bruce King Yacht site at http://www.bkyd.com .

Gary Coffey

Chainplates

Popeye,

I believe the 29 has the same design as my 27 does. We lost the aft-starboard chainplate in light wind last year. I happened to look at the stay and saw it very loose, went on deck and pulled chainplate that was now a inch or so higher than normal and it pulled up thru deck. Local yard quoted $500 per plate to repair.
after 7 weeks got first bill for $600 followed by another one for $1000 and they were still not none with it. My honey and I stole our boat back in the middle of the night. Went to yard following Monday and gave them a check for $1000 and said they could sue me for the rest. We then finished the repair of that one and replaced other two on that side. The repair of the other two took about 8 good hours on sat and 3-4 on sunday to finish up and retune rig. I can tell you how we did it if you need.
When you pull the access panels off look for clean smooth almost shiny stainless no pitting or minute cracks. use a mirror and look on the back side as well. The plate is just one long bar about 4' long running lenghtwise of boat with the 3 vertical plates welded to that. the offsets on the plates were probably smackbent (vise and big A** hammer) thats why they developed crevase corrosion and failed. I believe the PO of mine also keep an A/C unit plugged in with the shore power laid against these 3 plates, as the port side look brand new,and we check them every 2-3 months. You may want to pull off the loose F/gflass from around the plates to get a better look if you have any doubt grind away the glass until you expose the verticle piece down to where it is welded to the horizontal one. you will not loose any strenght and you can get a good look at it. Good luck.
Gary and Terri
Dunedin, Fl

Joe Benedict

Member II
Prints Available From Bruce King

Popeye:

I have been in contact with Pam King of Bruce King Yacht Design ( HTTP://www.bkyd.com ) and the prints that are available for an E29 at $10.00 each are Hull Lines, Plumbing Diagram, Sail Plan, Rudder Section, Accomodation Plan, Deck Lines, and Electrical Layout Plan. She says that some of drawings are old sepias and don't copy well. I already have the plumbing and electrical ones and they fill in the deatils that the drawing in the Owners' Manual leave out. I've ordered the rest of the set.