• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 29 Cabin Sole

jwolfgra

Member II
I'm a new member to this exchange, I was tickled when I found it, terrific source of information.

I have a 72 vintage E29, been doing a lot of upgrades (headsail furler, repower, new teak hatches, Awlgrip). At the end of the day, it's cost effective to maintain and enhance rather than to purchase new.

My cabin sole is a little spongy/springy. I'm presuming some degree of delamination. Options I'm considering are: 1. Drill and inject epoxy, then cover with paint with non skid, 2. Cut it out and replace with teak & holly. I've got the basic wood working skills and equipment necessary to do the teak & holly, but am concerned about my ability to integrate it into the boat.

Questions are: 1. Any thoughts about the effectiveness of the epoxy approach?, 2. Is the sole part of the structural support for the boat?, 3. Any thoughts about the feasability of the teak and holly replacement?.

thanks.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I had a spongy area around the mast. I drilled 5/16" holes 2/3rds of the way into the sole every 1" inch, poured in GitRot until no more would soak in, and then filled the holes with teak bungs, which I shaved down with a chisel after drying. Doesn't look bad, was pretty simple to do and made the sole very solid.

Ray Rhode

Member III
I had the same problem and used the epoxy injection approach. I basically followed the West Systems book "Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance". I put strips of masking tape down about 1 to 1/2 inches apart. This protected the wood surface and made clean up easier. I then drilled a series of small holes using a drill stop to keep from drilling all the way through the bottom layer of the plywood. I spaced the holes about 1 to 1 1/2 inches apart and staggered the ajoining rows. I then used the West Systems 807 syringes filled with penetrating epoxy and pumped it in one hole until it started to flow out of the ajoining holes. I kept this up until I ran out of epoxy and got tired working on my knees. Results were very satisfactory and a lot easier than replacing the floor. The holes were small enought that I still have not finished filling them in.

jwolfgra

Member II
Thanks for the advice and feedback. My plan will be to do the WEST system approach (e.g. drill and fill), and then cover with a high quality singlepart polyurethane paint (adding a little sand or silica to provide non slip). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

frick

Member III
E29 cabin

My 1971 cabin sole is part of the interior fiberglass pan. It has a bit of spring to it, but not really spongy. It does have a few surface stress cracks in the aft corners. My boat also has a recessed center section. I saw one fellow lay at piece of teak and Holly plywood into the recessed center section looked really great.

Me, I just set a bit of rug.

paul culver

Member III
Just remember that any build up of the sole can potentially reduce headroom. Its pretty tight for me as it is.

Paul
E29 "Bear"