• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Favorite San Francisco Bay overnight destination?

Steve Wall

Member II
I hope to begin doing overnights on the boat next spring and would like to know from some other local sailors where they have enjoyed spending an overnight at anchor or in a slip the most?

Angel Island? Sausalito? Is there anything to do up the Napa River?

I have spent a little time at the delta but it may be a bit far for me from down here in the south bay.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

Guy Stevens

However some info

China Camp, Paradise cove, Richardson bay (Sausalito),

There are other spots around, those are some that we like.

Guy
:)

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
I'm in Redwood City too.

Hi Steve, have you ever spent the night on the hook ? If not I recommend Westpoint Slough.
The deep "wide"part was always just around the corner from what now is Westpoint Marina.
I recommend going in on a low tide.

Next would be the anchorage between Yerba Buena Island and TI. Haven't been there in years and I understand the entrance is narrow and shallow now but I'm sure it can be done. That trip in your boat is four to six hours.

Aquatic Park is nice if you want to be in the City on your boat.

South Beach is nice if you want to take your boat to the City.

Any place around Angel Island. I have a thing for China Beach. ( big bell on shore )

My all time favorite anchorage is China Camp. That is a nice days sail from Redwood City in your boat.
The next day you can go north west and up the Petaluma River all the way to downtown. Where you can have a beer where the beer was brewed while looking over at your boat. That's if you like beer.

Where are you at ? I'm in muni by spinnaker sailing and SYC.

Phil

Edit:

Thought of another one.
South, anchor off Moffet Field and Shoreline Amphitheater. We've done it a few times, once during a concert at shoreline. The water is plenty deep like 50 feet but it's narrow and you have it pick where to drop the hook carefully. You're out in the open so only a fair weather anchorage but worth doing.

Last edited:

Steve Wall

Member II
Haven't spent the night on the hook...yet!

Those are some interesting south bay ideas Phil.

Thanks.

I am over in Redwood Landing. The other end of the parking lot from you. Near the big red sailboat Sorcery.

We should hook up sometime if you would like to talk boats.

Winter overnights are off limits until I eventually heat the boat or else I would be tempted to try some of these suggestions soon.

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Those are some interesting south bay ideas Phil.

Thanks.

I am over in Redwood Landing. The other end of the parking lot from you. Near the big red sailboat Sorcery.

We should hook up sometime if you would like to talk boats.

Winter overnights are off limits until I eventually heat the boat or else I would be tempted to try some of these suggestions soon.

Yes let's hook up sometime.
I use the oven as a heater when I'm out. Just have to leave some ventilation open.

Westpoint Slough was the first place I spent the night on a hook 24ish years ago. First place I ran aground too. I think it was the same night. :)

We have also spent many a night anchored right out in the creek across from the commercial piers.
Also many a night right out in the middle of the Bay south of the San Mateo bridge. Just go towards the east bay till you get to about 8 feet depending on the tide and drop the hook. This like south of the Dunbarton is fair weather only.

Cheers
Phil
phil_macfarlane@mac.com
Sequoia Electric Co.
650-483-7445

Charlie B.

Member II
North Bay destinations

Last year we made it up to Petaluma. Great destination for those who like to have a dock with close access to great restaurants. Also, Vallejo and Benicia have similar access to shoreside eateries.

ref_123

Member III
Last year we made it up to Petaluma. Great destination for those who like to have a dock with close access to great restaurants. Also, Vallejo and Benicia have similar access to shoreside eateries.

Hi Charlie,

don't you need to reserve a bridge opening to get to Petaluma? Last time I checked they asked for 24-hr advance notice or something like it...

Regards,
Stan

Charlie B.

Member II
Petaluma Bridge opening

Making the trip to Petaluma requires some advance planning. The most important is to time the trip on a rising rising tide to avoid running aground. We draw 6 feet and had no trouble making it. Another boat ahead of us drew almost 8 feet and claimed to touch briefly. If you do run aground it's always nice to have arising tide to help you out. Shoals are 'generally' marked. Since the river is narrow and meanders bit, there very few opportunities to sail on it. It is worth investing in a guidebook and charts to see you through it. Latitude 38 has done articles about cruising the Bay and would be the best resource.

When we did it, we were following a yacht club cruise and they opened the bridge more than once to let the stragglers through. Typically the call ahead ensures that your wait will not be too long. We found them very accommodating. There are two marinas, one before the bridge and one after. The one before is a long walk from town and you would miss the convenience of their Yacht Club and restaurants in town.

Robert Baizer

There's a book

There is a book: 'Cruising Guide to San Francisco Bay' by Carolyn & Bob Mehaffy. Covers about 20 spots, approach, GPS location, anchorages, facilities, attractions, phone numbers, a little discussion of each place. I think they sell it at Club Nautique, in Alameda & Sausalito.