• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Suggestion for taping spreader boots

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,

I usually check the mast head (windex, anemometer, radio antenna, halyard sheaves, etc.), spreader tips and re-tape the spreader boots annually to ensure everything is o.k. I have used various rubber/amalgamating tapes on the spreader boots, but they invariably begin to unwrap and look sloppy.

This time I decided to wrap the spreader boots with the usual rubber self-amalgamating tape, but then put on those plastic zip ties for holding electrical wires in place over the rubber tape, and snugged them up really well. The electrical ties are available in white and also in black which is UV protected. I decided to use the white because it doesn't stand out as much; I suspect the white will easily last a year without too much UV damage. If they do degrade, I'll use the black next time. From the deck the plastic zip ties are almost invisible against the white tape, and they will keep the rubber tape from unwrapping. So far I'm pleased with the result.

Frank

Last edited:

McGinnis

Member II
What about leather spreader boots?
Img0014lg.gif
I would think the leather would work just as well and if threaded with V-69 or Tenara should last quite a bit longer than tape.

It's a wonder I haven't done this yet... too many projects I suppose. For now, I continue as you do and annually wrap some tape around and call it good.:cheers:

Guy Stevens

Spreader boots are bad, don't use them, but if you must:

First here is a photo that shows graphically why spreader boots are bad, most boats that I take the spreader boots off of look about like this, some worse a few a little better:
000_0009.jpg

Note the crevice corrosion on the SS rod as well as the significant corrosion on the spreader ends. This was probably the best of the spreader ends off of this boat, the little things that look like fuzz or batting are the remains of the inside of the leather. Leather spreader ends are better at holding moisture against the rigging than just about anything else that I have seen. (Those little white plastic straws that people attach to the standing rigging near deck are a close second). At the ends of the spreaders though we are holding the moisture against dissimilar metals. This causes a lot of corrosion.

Also spreader boots do not allow you to look up and easily visually inspect a key component of your rigging, the ends of your spreaders. Especially in a boat with discontinuous rigging.

Most people use spreader boots to "protect the sail". They are trying to protect the sail from being torn by the poorly applied SS seizing wire that holds the rigging in the end of the spreader. The SS seizing wire should be neat, clean, and finish by being tucked next to the rigging on the inboard side of the rigging. There should be no loose or sharp edges of seizing wire protruding to snag the sail. If there are, you have done it wrong, start over with the seizing wire until it is neat, tucked and is not a threat to the sails. Then you don't need spreader boots.

Of course if you MUST have spreader boots, then get these, they don't let water accumulate on the rigging or the spreader ends, and are kind of like boxing gloves for your spreaders. They work wonderful, are attached with a strap and plastic friction buckle. Your spreader will love you for it, and if you have spreaders that love you, they will keep doing there job, which is keeping your mast out of your cockpit.

spreader end cover.jpg

http://www.go2marine.com/product/92332F/taylor-made-spreader-boots-spreader-tip-covers-guards.html

Guy
:)

Vagabond39

Member III
Spreader Boots

With the plastic boots, they may be served like the bitter end of a line. Some sail twine, and a little time.
If you want to tape with vinal tape, first coat with SCOTCHKOTE, a 3M product. This is an insulating waterproof electrical coating, and used on underwater transducer splices, etc.:)

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have been using the type of spreader boot Guy mentions at the end of his post. When I first had them installed while replacing the intermediate shrouds the rigger tried to give me a hard time about them, saying the rubber boots were superior. He even said, "I'll install them, but I'm telling you 'I told you so' now because you'll have to replace them in a year." They have been on my boat almost 5 years with no problems. I just had all my standing rigging replaced and my (new) rigger said there were no problems with the spreader tips and he liked these boots because they allowed water to drain better. He then reinstalled them using some tape in addition to the buckles, which I didn't think necessary since the buckles had never come undone since they were first installed.

I have been using black wire ties to route electrical cables along my stern pulpit and they seem to last about a year, maybe a little longer. Thing is you can't always tell when they are brittle until you bump into one or try to reposition a wire.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I've had the plastic spreader boots... stashed in a locker for a year. I keep forgetting to install them. And I was just up the mast again saturday. That said, I have never actually observed the sail rubbing against the spreaders. (I admit that when I have been getting turbulent 30 kt gusts and the sail started snapping about alarmingly, I didn't actually look closely for that, as I was diving for the furler line.) But I assume that my spreaders are in the 43 y/o original stock configuration, and they don't seem to have any sharp edges or protrusions. The metal clamp-bands and screws are counter-sunk flush with the wooden spreader tips. I did remove the remains of some old rotten boots, but I'm not too stressed about replacing them.
Maybe I'm too ignorant to be properly stressed. :rolleyes:

Mindscape

Member III
Spreader boots

I've been using the boots that Guy recomended for a few years now. Easy to install, protect the sail and look good. No issues, and did I mention easy to install. I admit when I installed them i didn't think about the water being able to drain, but now that you mention it......