• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E23-II, 1976 Bow Damage advice

Tim C

Tim C
E23-II bow damage... Hi, I just purchased this E23-II swing keel and it appears that the bow has had a sudden stop at some point. I've included a photo. I don't know if the damage is water tight or if it effects the standing rigging. I am assuming that the rub rail on the bow was removed to install the roller furler. Does anyone have a photo of what this looked like originally? Does anyone have any ideas how to dress this up? Do you think it will be a problem down the road? Thanks, Tim

Attachments

• E23 bow damage.jpg
    E23 bow damage.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 169

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Actually there was a metal bow cap piece which wrapped around there and is missing - perhaps due to impact (though that is not obvious to me from looking at your photo), or from corrosion, or a little of both.

That piece is virtually impossible to find, but you can fabricate one yourself making a fiberglass mold, or using a technique I read about in a Good Old Boat article several years ago involving filling a piece of plastic plumbing pipe with sand, capping it on both sides, heating it in an oven to make it pliable, bending it around the bow, dumping out the sand after it cools to the proper shape, and cutting the pipe down the middle with a Skilsaw.

Disclaimer: I have the exact same situation on my boat and I haven't gotten around to repairing it.

Tim C

Tim C
Thanks tenders... that PVC idea is worth a try. If that doesn't work I think I could make a plaster cast and fiberglass it over. Tim

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Thanks tenders... that PVC idea is worth a try. If that doesn't work I think I could make a plaster cast and fiberglass it over. Tim

PVC in the oven? Make sure the fan is on...and your wife's not home! :nerd:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I don't think you even need the wraparound piece and it looks better without it. My 30+ looks essentially like that pic...minus the damage. :) Where you see the rub rail ending in that pic, my rub rail (all alum., no rubber) has a small (about 2.5"), pointed trim piece of rub rail attached. Makes a nice termination on the rub rail and the bow looks very clean. If I can find a pic of mine I will post.

Here's the pics:

E30_11-08 012s.jpgIMG_0053s.jpg

Last edited: