• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Any of the Olson folks prefer a wheel?

MarcusJtown

Member II
I'm considering changing from a wheel to tiller over the winter this year. Just wondering if anyone here might be interested in going the other way?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not much to add, but that's not stopped me from commenting here up 'til now... :rolleyes:

Back in the 90's when we bought our used O-34, we were really looking for a tiller model. At the time the only other sister ship we'd been on was in Portland and had a tiller with a ball bearing system for the rudder post. All of our prior boats were tiller-steered. Simpler, and even an AP install would be simpler.

Then we bought this boat, after along search, and started thinking about a conversion. Local yard pointed out that the factory had cut off the post so it tops out down inside that screw-off cover. I guess we'd have to have a new extension welded on or glued with a piece of filler metal or carbon fiber. Hmmm....

This is based on the original rudder and post system being perfect enough to justify the change/addition.
Otherwise we'd have to probably go with a new slightly-longer rudder with full height post. Actually, with new "trick" bearings, this whole changeover would be pretty cool. I could imagine several thousand $ going into it, too! :0

We will probably not make the change after all these years with the wheel.

Keep us all posted, though.

Loren

Last edited:

MarcusJtown

Member II
There's another Olson in the same mooring field as me. It has a tiller and I got a chance to sail it earlier this year. I found it to be very well balanced with the stock rudder. I havn't taken a good look at the rudder post, but I don't think that will be too much of an obstacle. The rudder has Harken bearings on it right now, and they seem to be in pretty good shape. I was hoping to be able to unload the pedestal, wheel, and associatied stuff to help pay for the conversion.... and part of a sail... maybe.

CTOlsen

Member III
Don't do it!

Love my wheel. I sailed an O-30 for 10 years, I'm over the sensation of a tiller, particularly on a 10600# boat. Resale will also take a hit with a conversion to a tiller. Loki is nicely balanced, and requires little force on the wheel to drive. I've done a number of upgrades over the last 5 seasons: retractable CF sprit, new Autopilot, new rudder, new sails. I've never consider investing to convert from wheel to tiller.