Any of the Olson folks prefer a wheel?

MarcusJtown

Member II
I'm considering changing from a wheel to tiller over the winter this year. Just wondering if anyone here might be interested in going the other way?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not much to add, but that's not stopped me from commenting here up 'til now... :rolleyes:

Back in the 90's when we bought our used O-34, we were really looking for a tiller model. At the time the only other sister ship we'd been on was in Portland and had a tiller with a ball bearing system for the rudder post. All of our prior boats were tiller-steered. Simpler, and even an AP install would be simpler.

Then we bought this boat, after along search, and started thinking about a conversion. Local yard pointed out that the factory had cut off the post so it tops out down inside that screw-off cover. I guess we'd have to have a new extension welded on or glued with a piece of filler metal or carbon fiber. Hmmm....

This is based on the original rudder and post system being perfect enough to justify the change/addition.
Otherwise we'd have to probably go with a new slightly-longer rudder with full height post. Actually, with new "trick" bearings, this whole changeover would be pretty cool. I could imagine several thousand $ going into it, too! :0

We will probably not make the change after all these years with the wheel.

Keep us all posted, though.

Loren

Last edited:

MarcusJtown

Member II
There's another Olson in the same mooring field as me. It has a tiller and I got a chance to sail it earlier this year. I found it to be very well balanced with the stock rudder. I havn't taken a good look at the rudder post, but I don't think that will be too much of an obstacle. The rudder has Harken bearings on it right now, and they seem to be in pretty good shape. I was hoping to be able to unload the pedestal, wheel, and associatied stuff to help pay for the conversion.... and part of a sail... maybe.

CTOlsen

Member III
Don't do it!

Love my wheel. I sailed an O-30 for 10 years, I'm over the sensation of a tiller, particularly on a 10600# boat. Resale will also take a hit with a conversion to a tiller. Loki is nicely balanced, and requires little force on the wheel to drive. I've done a number of upgrades over the last 5 seasons: retractable CF sprit, new Autopilot, new rudder, new sails. I've never consider investing to convert from wheel to tiller.