• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I'm looking for Scorpion owners

orientalnc2010

Hi all, I just purchased an Ericson Scorpion and would like to know if there are any other owners out there. She has nice lines and has been partially refitted by the previous owner. There were only 24 built and this is #19. She needs a bit of work but I think she will be worth the time and effort.2013 Ericson 5.5 Meter 004.jpg20130921_05.jpg

Ike

Member I
good article - possible resource

I'm not a Scorpion owner, but wanted to let you know about a good article in Good Old Boat that reviews the Scorpion and her sister, the Columbia Sabre. Both of these boats were based on the Olympic 5.5 meter hulls.

It's interesting to note that Bruce King designed the cabin and accomodations for both of these boats while at Columbia. He left Columbia for Ericson yachts, making minor tweaks to the boat, then launched as the Scorpion.

Seems like quite a large fleet mentioned in the article in Eugene, Oregon. Might be worth contacting the marina there to try and get into contact with some other owners.

http://deangrabski.com/SabresandScorpions.pdf

Yours looks like a fine example. I'm a bit jealous - love the classic lines of these boats.

cheers,
Ike

MT Taipan

Member I
Thanks for responding to my search. Do you have any pics your can post? Tell me about her, what kind of shape she's in.
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you but it's fall and our season is at it's end. This boat was painted ALL gold even the mast. Inside he fiberglassed everything solid and He uses a side mount electric motor to get around when needed. He says it sails like a champ. He and I left the marina at the same time and he smoked me going across the bay. We will be doing a mass haul out this next weekend and will try to get pics for you if I can.

cliff bisch

Untitled
Scorpions at Fern Ridge

I'm not a Scorpion owner, but wanted to let you know about a good article in Good Old Boat that reviews the Scorpion and her sister, the Columbia Sabre. Both of these boats were based on the Olympic 5.5 meter hulls.

It's interesting to note that Bruce King designed the cabin and accomodations for both of these boats while at Columbia. He left Columbia for Ericson yachts, making minor tweaks to the boat, then launched as the Scorpion.

Seems like quite a large fleet mentioned in the article in Eugene, Oregon. Might be worth contacting the marina there to try and get into contact with some other owners.

Yours looks like a fine example. I'm a bit jealous - love the classic lines of these boats.
cheers,
Ike

I am moving my Scorpion to Fern Ridge next week. It shows up elsewhere on this site, I believe. It is hull #1.
Will begin the restoration later this spring. Plan to sail when the pond is full. The Sabre that I had now lives on Bainbridge Island.

cliff bisch

Untitled
Scorpions at Fern Ridge

cheers,
Ike

I am moving my Scorpion to Fern Ridge next week. It shows up elsewhere on this site, I believe. It is hull #1.
Will begin the restoration later this spring. Plan to sail when the pond is full. The Sabre that I had now lives on Bainbridge Island.

Ike

Member I

Too cool! We are actually looking to move back up to the Seattle area sometime next year. SF Bay gets a lot of attention but the family all misses Puget Sound. B.I. is currently at the top of the list. I'm assuming your old Sabre lives in Eagle Harbor somewhere.

Look forward to seeing some restoration updates later next year on Scorpion #1!

cliff bisch

Untitled
Too cool! We are actually looking to move back up to the Seattle area sometime next year. SF Bay gets a lot of attention but the family all misses Puget Sound. B.I. is currently at the top of the list. I'm assuming your old Sabre lives in Eagle Harbor somewhere.

Look forward to seeing some restoration updates later next year on Scorpion #1!

Here she is as we picked her up near Spokane.

Attachments

• 20130830_133155.jpg
    20130830_133155.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 20130830_133215.jpg
    20130830_133215.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 131

orientalnc2010

It's an old thread but I've had hull 19 for just a little past one year and her transformation is nearly complete. Complete new interior, including bulkheads, sole and chainplates. I glassed over the opening for the original ports and installed 4 elliptical SS opening port from New found Metals. Anyone else restoring theirs?

cliff bisch

Untitled
scorpion #1

All bulkheads, floor and berths replaced. Paintgrade. Just clean for sailing. Lots to do yet...but it will still sail this spring.

Attachments

• to rotate.jpg
    to rotate.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited by a moderator:

orientalnc2010

All bulkheads, floor and berths replaced. Paintgrade. Just clean for sailing. Lots to do yet...but it will still sail this spring.

Here are some pics of my progress, marine plywood hot coated with epoxy, primed with epoxy primer (barrier coat) and top coated with gloss brightside white. All bulkheads are double glassed in with biaxial cloth as well as the settee tops and v berth top. Recored the forward deck with 1/4 marine plywood from the underside of the deck.
Decks are painted with interdeck by interlux, nice product for ease of application and finish. New ports are New Found Metal. Chainplates are 316 S.S. 1/4" 2"x2" angle iron, I glassed in proper knees to the hull and thru bolted the CP's. I cut the top 4" back on one side of the 2x2 angle to project thru the deck.
I need to take more pics as the interior is now painted and the teak and holly sole is in place.

Attachments

• DSCF1561 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1561 (800x600).jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF1550 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1550 (800x600).jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1342 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1342 (800x600).jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF1144 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1144 (800x600).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF1344 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1344 (800x600).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 97

orientalnc2010

Here are some more pics of the interior. One is after the rip out and grind down. I installed the new AC panel to port and the DC panel to starb.

Attachments

• DSCF1736 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1736 (800x600).jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1043 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1043 (800x600).jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1744 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF1744 (600x800).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF1737 (600x800).jpg
    DSCF1737 (600x800).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That a horrible thing to do to me.

That old Sabre/Scorpion/5.5 meter is just about exactly the sort of hull I imagine myself revising into a huge daysailor, with a small cuddy and vast woodwork cockpit seating.