• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Original E29 skid "grid" repair/painting. Need tips.

adam

Member III
It's getting to be time to repaint my deck, but I'm not sure how to best deal with the raised "grid" no skid.

Any tips for best repairing chips/scratches?

And how do I paint it? With a sprayer?

Thanks!
-Adam

adam

Member III
In case my question wasn't clear enough, here's a picture of the "grid" texture I was talking about:

deck.jpg

Lucky Dog

Member III
I have fixed several of these spots. Tape off the area. Fill with poly resin. File flat with file that I broke into a two inch length. Then I used a small flat file that hobbyist use to cut in the grooves. If you make a mistake, start over. Paint still working on that problem. Spraying I think would look best and not flood the grooves. But most marine paints a toxic when you spray.

adam

Member III
I still haven't painted my deck, but it's slowly moving up my TODO list.

As for the damage, there isn't much of it. I'm planning on just filling the dings and nicks with epoxy and/or Evercoat Formula 27.

The next question is about the paint:

Is it a good idea to spray on the paint rather than brushing it on, as Lucky Dog suggested, to avoid filling the gaps?

Also, would it be a good idea to add non-slip additive to the paint to enhance the non-slip surface?

Thanks!

adam

Member III
Also, would it be a good idea to add non-slip additive to the paint to enhance the non-slip surface?

Walking the dock, I answered my own question on that one.

There's an E32 which looks like someone added some sort of grit to the paint for the non-skid. The end result is the grit on the top of the texture has peeled off, while the grit buried in the grooves remains and the overall look is just sloppy.

Still curious if I should spray it on instead of rolling it to get thinner and more even results.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Spray the deck if you can. The porch paint and dirt look like H@!! I used Kiwi grip on my Mirage 236 and love it. You can make it as aggressive as you want and if it is too aggressive you can block sand to get the grip you want.

0729111417.jpg0729111418.jpg

clp

Member III
I relented and did the Kiwi Grip myself. Love it. Wish I had done it sooner. The factory deck was like walking on ice when wet; that problem is resolved. Incredibly easy to apply.

adam

Member III
In the end, I just rolled it on.

It looks good and it seems there is enough of the grooves left to maintain it's non-skid properties. :)

Attachments

• CAM00307.jpg
    CAM00307.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 188

frick

Member III
USCG rolled there deck

I watched a few Coasties repaint the deck on the boat.
They used one part Urethane with 6 inch long one inch foam rollers, a brush for tipping.
The paint was as thin as water and it looked great when done.

They used Petit.

Rick