Water supply lines

hathanger

Member II
I'm wanting to add 2 water shut off's under the head sink and I'm unfamiliar with the gray plastic type lines they used ! I have a small drip from the shower mixer and the easiest way I can figure is add two shut off's when shower is not needed ! We don't use the shower that much and I'm up for any sugguestions. Thanks, Chip

Glyn Judson

Plastic water lines.

Chip, Your lines postdate mine in our E31 but I'd venture a strong guess that they are PEX (cross linked ethylene) and the simplest way I know to add fittings to them are with Cash-Acme Sharkbite fittings. Take a look at this video of theirs and you'll then know all you need to add any fitting to your system: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCKLxObPWs My experience with these truly magic fittings was on our vintage 1969 Airstream Caravel trailer. In a previous life, the copper lines were allowed to freeze resulting in a burst pipe in the toughest place you can imagine. I was facing removing the entire shower pan to get access to the pipe that ran under the threshold. It was about then that my neighbor, a recovering plumber, introduced me to PEX, and the plumbing supply folks, to Sharkbite. I was able to replace the offending line with two 90's in it remotely so to speak, at arms length by simply pressing a length of PEX into each fitting. If you choose to add valves using this method, the trip to the plumbing supply store will take longer than the installation. In actuality, it'll take longer to watch that video than it will for you to install both valves. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marin del Rey, CA (no freezing worries here, EVER)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just replaced my head faucet with the original diverter model for about $25, at Defender or or elsewhere on line. Easy job. http://www.faucets.com/store/category/faucets/recreational

I don't need a shower either, but on my boat I realized as I was replacing the old plastic gear (diverter leaked, same as yours) you can simply hand the shower head through the opening portlight and wash off on deck. Now that, I'll do. So I ordered new shower head and tubing too, for anther $25. It's just plastic, but good enough and won;t corrode.

Hey Glyn, 78 degrees at the marina today!

MarcusJtown

Member II
I had a couple leaks in my fresh water system when I bought the boat. Improper winterizing had left some water in the low spots and split the lines. The grey stuff does seem like PEX but it was small on my boat. Convieniently though, regular 1/2" PEX fit over the grey very tightly (with some encouragement and a little heat) and created a water tight repair. Another plus is that the 1/2" push-connect fittings can be used.

hathanger

Member II
Thanks All for the sugguestions ! I went to HD and an old (opps) seasoned plumber said it sounds like it maybe a material called quest and he believes the material sould be compatable with pex products but he couldn't be positive. Has anybody heard of QUEST pipe? The leak I believe is behind the mixer and drips down the wall and ends up in the shower pan area and then into the shower bilge. Sometimes it leaks and somtimes it doesn't. I think I may try the pex or shark bite product if I can't find out more about QUEST. Thanks again everybody ! Chip s/v Hat We sold our home in Venice, Fl. now it's sail it or sell it. I'm thinking SAIL it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ahoy maties .

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hathanger, follow the link in reply #5. It was called "Qest".

Regards.
Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Qest Pipe and Connector Info

My local Ships Store carries Qest fittings. The slightest, near-invisible crack in a "cone" end fitting creates a leak, but the replacement is easy. Here's the instruction sheet I was handed:

qest plastic water line.jpg