• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Chart Plotter alternative

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
In the absence of an actual chart plotter, how efficacious would it be to navigate by plotting GPS coordinates on a paper chart? I know there can be differences in where things appear on charts and where they actually are, depending on the accuracy of the charts, but if you are keeping good watches and confirming visually where possible, would it not be reliable? I think this subject has been discussed before...

Dave N

Member III
Why knot? That's what we did in the Loran days. And it sure beats what we did before that with dead reckoning, hand bearing compass, and Radio Direction Finder lines scratched on a chart!

Last edited:

e38 owner

Member III
We did that during the Loran days to. Worked Great
As a back up there are some free android apps that download a chart. If you download the charts when you have data, you don't need data to plot your position.

Last edited:

clp

Member III
Always

I have a plotter, and sometimes run two. However, I ALWAYS have paper charts, and use them hourly. When underway, I keep a deck log, where the position, speed, and course are noted every hour, and on the hour. If a course change, etc, occurs in the interim, it gets noted at that exact time. Whenever a position is marked, I go to the paper chart, and draw it there also. It is notoriously accurate, with few and minor deviance's.
I do this for a few reasons. Electronic discrepancies, and a general distrust of their "infallibility". And I use my sextant as well during this.
During a night crossing, which I commonly do, this is a very reassuring practice. When I get a few shots, and two or more lines of position, and they intersect on the chart as they should, it warms my heart.

I do realize that plotters and GPS are incredibly reliable. However, just last year a 60' steel sailing boat was knocked down, shipped in something like 600 gallons of water, and the ENTIRE electronics system was fried. They were right back to the square rigger technology of a sextant, and a paper chart.

Another reason for charting this way is thus: IF a man has a catastrophic equipment failure, and a radio works, maybe even the handheld, and you give out a mayday, if you have your position, speed, and course noted, the Coast Guard is very efficient of plotting your course from last known position to help.
As apposed to "Mayday, mayday, mayday, we left the Cape Fear approaches last night about ten o'clock heading sort of towards Charleston".

It may be a cold and lonely night. Or worse...

One more thing while I'm thinking about it. I learned celestial navigation from an old Norwegian sailor, one of them that has "been there, done that" types, that taught me the single most important thing on a sailing boat is navigation. Because you can do absolutely everything by the book; and still end up dead. But if you're a good navigator, at least you'll know exactly where you were at when it happened.

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
That is how we do it!

I still use GPS positions on a chart, even when I have a plotter on board. It helps me see the big picture sometimes. Anyway, it works fine. BUT, there are some great chart plotter apps for Android/Iphone/Ipad/Ipod. You can download all the charts you need, too You can even set them up to get a wireless signal from many GPS models if you want, or just use a short cable if not leaving the cabin. Get a waterproof case for the Iphone/Android/Ipad/Ipod, and you can stuff in your pocket and get all the data you need at a glance. This is really the way to go!

S

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Yup

That's standard practice on many "professional" boats and we do it on ours as well. I've heard the positions called "electronic fixes" and are often indicated on a paper DR plot with a filled dot inside a triangle.
In the absence of an actual chart plotter, how efficacious would it be to navigate by plotting GPS coordinates on a paper chart? I know there can be differences in where things appear on charts and where they actually are, depending on the accuracy of the charts, but if you are keeping good watches and confirming visually where possible, would it not be reliable? I think this subject has been discussed before...