• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Best size for genoa, Opinions please.

mordust

Member II
Hi everybody!

I recently bought an E27 after having been out of sailing for 5 or 6 years. Both sails need replacing. The genoa is on a roller furler and is a 150% and pretty beat.
I was wondering what size most of you use with a furler. Other boats I've had in the past did pretty well with a 135% but the boats were probably a little lighter. Is a 150%
a little much for our usual, day to day all around sail? Or does this boat need that much to move? I was thinking of a 135%, or is that too small?

Our sailing is on Lake Erie near Cleveland; mostly daysailing and weekends with an occasional week or two up to the islands; we are not racers; I am certainly not a novice sailor nor the worlds best: my wife, who enjoys sailing, is my crew; we are in our late fifties; not much sailing when the wind gets up over 15 -20knots (though we can handle a little more if we get caught); mainsail has 2 reefs.

New to the Ericson 27 and not knowing them too well yet, I was looking for some learned opinions.

BTW. I think i'm really gonna like this boat!

Thanks,

Bob

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I was recently looking for unrelated information on the Harken website (roller furling, winches, etc.) and they recommend a 135% headsail as an all round good choice. We have a 125% on our Ericson 30+, and it does well, though at times a bit more sail would be nice (we sail on the west coast/Strait of Georgia). On a previous 23 foot boat, I had four hank on sails: 150%, 135%, 100% and 78%, and used them all. If you are only planning on having one headsail, I think the 150 would be too much. I would opt for a 135% as a good compromise. Ultimately, it may depend on sailing conditions in your area--generally light winds, heavy winds, gusty, etc.

Good luck, let us know what you decide, and enjoy your new boat!

Frank

Seth

Sustaining Partner
135 about right

This is a very good compromise size. If your typical conditions are under 10-12 knots, go with 135. If they are often above that, go a bit smaller (125-130). Sure, in under 5-6 knots of breeze you will not be fully powered up, but by the time you have 7-8 and above, this will give great performance as long as the wind is on the beam or forward.

A great solution for sailing on broader reacher and runs, AND for close reaching in lighter air (under 10 depending on angle) is an Asymmetrical Spinnaker. You can use it as a very large and light genoa when you are up for best performance (except really upwind/tacking), and of course as you get past a beam reach where the genoa (any genoa, regardless of size), starts to get behind the mainsail and not do much for you, this sail will fly out and away from the main and get you going. For a coastal cruiser, a mid size genoa and A-sail should be all you really need to get as much potential from the boat as most cruisers expect and want.

Happy trails!

dt222

Member III

Bob,

I also bought an older '27 and have a 135 jib that I use for everyday. For light air, I have a 150 but I have only used it twic in 3 years. The only thing I am not happy abouot with my 135 is the cut. As you can see from the picture, the clew flies a bit high (can't move any more forward on the genoa track). It works fine, I just don't like the look.

Don135 Jib.jpg

Seth

Sustaining Partner
High clew and lead position

Bob,

I also bought an older '27 and have a 135 jib that I use for everyday. For light air, I have a 150 but I have only used it twic in 3 years. The only thing I am not happy abouot with my 135 is the cut. As you can see from the picture, the clew flies a bit high (can't move any more forward on the genoa track). It works fine, I just don't like the look.

DonView attachment 12269

Don,
In this pic, you are reaching with the sheets eased, so the clew by definition will be much higher off the deck than it is when close-hauled. Does not look too bad for this angle (but hard to tell really from this shot), but I am curious why you can't get the lead farther forward? Is it because you are on an inboard track and with the size of the genoa you at the fwd limit? If that is the case, and when you are reaching at broad angles like t5his, why not go to the outboard track and take as far fwd as you like?..

BTW-I would be curious to see where you have the lead when sailing close hauled using the inboard track. Also to see how high off the deck the clew is.. I would guess that when the lead is in the right place (inside top and bottom genoa telltales on the luff begin to lift at the same time (or the top just a hair before the bottom), your clew should be about 24" off the deck, which is about perfect for a RF cruising genoa..Remember that the lead position which is ideal for close hauled sailing is too far aft for beam and broad reaching (if you want to get the most out of the sail). Just guessing, but for a 135 on the inboard track, I would think the spot would be around a foot aft of the fwd edge of the inbard track when close hauled. Once I get to a beam reach or deeper, I would take the sheet out to a car on the outboard rail and forward (using the sail visual with the telltales to set the position)..

Cheers

Got any upwind shots we can critique?:)

dt222

Member III
Seth,

Thanks for the hints. I only have an inboard track so the lead is about as far forward as it goes, but I certainly can play with it more next season. Unfortunately like many others I don't have any close-hauled pictures- I'm always on the boat!

With my 150, it is more of a deck-sweeping fit so I think you're right- for a 135 off the wind, this is OK.

Don

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ahh, so!

That makes sense. I still think at the fwd end of the track (if this is where you leave the car) may be too far fwd when close hauled. It is definitely correct for reaching as in the photo, and I may be wrong, but by memory a 135, especially with a high-ish clew, when sheeted in may want to be farther aft to get the leading edge hitting the breeze at a constant angle of attack, and to keep the leech open (and air exiting the back of the sail). Just be sure you check this next time. Sailing upwind with the lead too far forward causes the sail to stall (reduced or not attached flow on both sides), which really slows you down and causes excessive heeling.

It might be just right and you can tell me to pound sand, but please double check unless you are sure about it already.

That's all, folks!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Split the difference.

Split the difference. I use a 140 although I know a 135 was recommended, wanted a little more head sail for those light air days. Thanks to Martin King and Greg Bauman for taking these photos. I also went with a full batten main, extra knot :egrin:.

Attachments

• 140 A.jpg
    140 A.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 114
  • 140 B.jpg
    140 B.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 140 C.jpg
    140 C.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 96

dt222

Member III
Jeff, thanks for posting the pictures. It helps to compare the 135 to a 140. I like the way yours is flying evenly off the wind (tack and clew about even, foot parrallel to the deck). As Seth says, playing with my car position may help.

Don

Raj

Genoa Size

On my 27, I went with a Genoa measured to these specs: Luff 31' 1", Leech 30.2' Foot 17.2' . I think that's a 135 - seems a good, general sized head sail for most purposes. Added UV protection strip and foam luff.
I am in Canada and got the sail made to spec and shipped from Michele Stevens Loft - I cannot recommend them enough - just superb work.
This is the loft that did the mainsail for the Bluenose II recently. Your 27 footer will be in some good company!

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard.

And good on ya, for choosing a real sailmaker.

The Bluenose main was a little too big for my dining room table:

db_40_-Bluenose_II_-_626.jpg

Last edited: