• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow / Anchor Hardware E29 and similar

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Spinning off from the anchor chain thread:
Improving my ground tackle is high on the priority list for spring. One thing I've noticed about the bow of the E29 (and presumably, similar models) is that there isn't much provision on the bow for anchoring. No chocks, no way to mount a roller, just a couple of lightweight cleats and a raised toe-rail all around. The rode has worn a groove in the toe rail and the rubrail. And I usually have to haul it in from the cockpit (no crew) so it currently just rattles over the toerail. I have some ideas about how to fix this, but just wonder if anyone has descriptions or pictures of their solution. Most likely, I will have to add spacer layers of ply to bring the deck up flush with the level of the toe-rail, so the rode can run clear. I doubt that a windlass is in the cards for this year, but you never know what CL might provide...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Somewhere 'round here is a thread about adding anchor rollers and in that thread I recall some excellent photos of the bow of a 70's E-35-2. Similar problem with the bow layout, and the owner solved it.
Anyone else recall that thread?

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I had a 22' skiff that caused me to bend over and haul chain up without letting it touch the bow. Ugh. I bought a stout piece of oak, bolted it on so it extended a bit, and added a simple bow roller assembly. I would think any plan you come up with will work, as there are really no seaworthiness issues. And varnished oak is cheap, strong and looks grand.

skiff bow roller.jpg

adam

Member III
Yeah, the way that the bow of the E29 is designed it's a real pain to add an anchor roller.

My solution was to add an entire anchor platform, which I liked the aesthetics of in addition to the functionality.

a1.jpga2.jpg

Wysailer

Member II
this worked for me

I had a 3/8" plate made to fit the fortriangle and used backing plates under the deck.

Scott B 25 CBstrbrd edge w ancho.jpganchor roller top.jpg

Attachments

• top view w roller.JPG
    top view w roller.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 817

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Oooo, I like that one. Some good ideas here guys, thnx.

​(Also, I wish my boat fit into the garage... had to cross the high-bay out of the plans to fit the budget, and regretted it ever since.)

sailing42

Member II
anchor setup on Ericson 27

bow and anchor 002.jpgbow and anchor 003.jpgThis is the setup that I did on my boat, anchor rode is led down to the second locker in the v-berth, I fabricated a aluminum backing plate under the bow to which the cleat and roller is attached. Cleat is a pop-up type, rubber bungee keeps the chain from beating up the foredeck and also keeps some tension on the anchor keeping it in place on the roller.

Wysailer

Member II
27 Anchor setup

That also looks like a good setup. Did your backing plate cover the entire area or just wider than the bolts going through the deck?

Scott B 25 CB

sailing42

Member II
backing plate

That also looks like a good setup. Did your backing plate cover the entire area or just wider than the bolts going through the deck?

Scott B 25 CB
The backing plate covers most of the bow section and then just about two inches shy of the pop up cleat it becomes a rectangle that goes all the way back almost to the bulkhead. I used a piece of cardboard to make the template for the v part and cut that out with a jig-saw as I used 1/4 thick aluminum plate , the rectangle is about 10 inches wide and I had it welded to the v part. The anchor roller, pulpit and pop up cleat are bolted to the plate.
John

DanielW

E-28 Owner
E-28 Double anchor roller

I had this double anchor roller fabricated for my E-28, works just great and takes up the same footprint as the existing roller (which had separated at some point and had suffered a really bad weld job).

Attachments

• Wysi Anchor roller.jpg
    Wysi Anchor roller.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 861

Tadzik

Member I
E29 - Anchor roller

Check my modification done few years ago.

Ted Pilipczuk
'77 E29 - "Odin"

112.jpg113.jpg110.jpg

Spinning off from the anchor chain thread:
Improving my ground tackle is high on the priority list for spring. One thing I've noticed about the bow of the E29 (and presumably, similar models) is that there isn't much provision on the bow for anchoring. No chocks, no way to mount a roller, just a couple of lightweight cleats and a raised toe-rail all around. The rode has worn a groove in the toe rail and the rubrail. And I usually have to haul it in from the cockpit (no crew) so it currently just rattles over the toerail. I have some ideas about how to fix this, but just wonder if anyone has descriptions or pictures of their solution. Most likely, I will have to add spacer layers of ply to bring the deck up flush with the level of the toe-rail, so the rode can run clear. I doubt that a windlass is in the cards for this year, but you never know what CL might provide...

Schoolboyheart

Member II
View attachment 12271View attachment 12272This is the setup that I did on my boat, anchor rode is led down to the second locker in the v-berth, I fabricated a aluminum backing plate under the bow to which the cleat and roller is attached. Cleat is a pop-up type, rubber bungee keeps the chain from beating up the foredeck and also keeps some tension on the anchor keeping it in place on the roller.

what bow roller is this? Did you have to move the lights? Does the anchor hit the curler. I'm adding one this spring. thanks in advance.

Rob

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
There is pretty much no way to do it without obscuring the stock running lights. Through a number of dock-walks, I have observed that many people are getting away with obscured lights. Most of these installations are clearly not new. However, I've been sailing at night enough, and had enough close encounters, not to do that. Most everyone else has mounted an aqua signal series 25 (or a few series 40) combination light on the pulpit. Note that aqua signal no longer sells the mounting bracket for that, but it was grossly overpriced anyway, and not hard to build from scratch. What I don't (yet) know is if one can drill a hole to run the wires into the pulpit from the chain locker without first dismounting the pulpit. Winter caught up with me before I could get going on the project.

Schoolboyheart

Member II
I completely agree but the setup in those pictures it looks like the light is completely unobscured. I really don't wat to go through the pulpit.