Thinking about a walk-tru transom mod....

Nate

I would like to hear some thoughts on the pros and cons of such a modification. I would also build a small swim deck just below the opening with a slide down ladder. My E29 is a tiller model with 2 side benches in the cockpit. I think this would be very convenient for my kids and elderly parents, and boarding from a dingy. Thought and ideas are most welcome.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There have been outboard well mods posted on this site which would be similar to a walkthrough transom. It should work but could get wet in following seas. The question is how wide is the gap between the cockpit liner and the transom? A telescopic ladder mounted on the swim platform should work well.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I did just this on an E27. I documented it (along with many other things) at www.plasticlassicforum.com Check under Projects/Ericson 27 Project.

It was messy and required a lot of fiberglass work. You will have to paint or gelcoat the transom, the interior of the stern portion of the cockpit and some or all of the taffrail area to hide the new work. This may or may not match your remaining finish. But given the scope of my projects this was one of the easier bits. The hardest part was taking a sawzall to the boat :egrin:

P7120109.jpg

P7120098.jpg

P7190005.jpg

P7310009.jpg

While you are at it, glass in a piece of G10 pipe to replace the silly drain hose/thru hull assembly, if you have such a thing.

P3190013.jpg

P3280021.jpg

Good Luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited: