• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Ericson/Olson 34 in Great Lakes

csommers

I am very interested in buying an Ericson/Olson 34 in the Great Lakes, anyone know of one that may be for sale. Thanks Carl.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Searching for Olsons....

http://www.buy-a-boat.com/

I have never been to the Great Lakes... but this brokerage has been a supporter of the YachtList for over 7 years and seems like a good person to ask...
:cool:

There are not that many Olson's around, so you need to get the word out as widely as possible.
(It took us a year to find one after we sold our previous sailboat.)

Also, are there any listed now on YachtWorld?

Good Hunting,

Loren in Portland, OR
Olson 34 #8

ps: if you need info or digital photos of one, let me know.

Attachments

• o-34 at thecoast.jpg
    o-34 at thecoast.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,422

escapade

Inactive Member
Great Lakes E34/Olson 34

Carl;
We purchased our E34 in Georgia (no, it's not for sale) 2 years ago. These boats are very rare in our area and the owners tend to hold on to them. You can watch the broker Loren mentioned as well as Sailnet & BoatTraderOnLine. I'm sure if you do a search there are others out there also. We bought our boat on a site from BTOL as well as selling our old one the same way. This is not a plug for BTOL, only to say that the national on line services openup a new world of options. We had Escapade trucked from Atlanta, Ga. to Bay City, Mi. @ a cost of about $2,000.00.
BTW, I believe you would find either boat a great choice. The Olson is a little faster, the Ericson a few more creature comforts. Either one a good boat.
Good luck in your hunt.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How Far to search....

Since Carl is talking about spending about 55 or 60K, give or take...
perhaps truck transportation is not such a high percentage of this price to further invest.
:rolleyes:

If a search of brokers in the Great Lakes area is not productive, why not look further afield? We ended up buying our boat in the SF Bay area and having it trucked up to Portland, OR. This added $1900. in trucking costs.

I know that traveling to look for a boat costs $$, but we looked at our plane trip to the Bay area as a mini-vacation. The haulout and survey will be done in any case -- you just have the trucking and commisioning at your home port to add in.
We figured that it would all amortize out if we kept it a long time, and 10 years later we judge that it has, and then some. :cool:
We really like our Olson 34 -- my wife sez to add that it's not for sale...
:)

Happy hunting,
Loren in Portland, OR

If you guys ever visit the NW, let's go for a sail!

csommers

Thanks for all the information. I have considered trucking but would perfer a boat on the greatl lakes as easier to see and transport. Loren , you boat looks very good. Carl.