• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Strange major fuel leak

skywalker

Member II
Need some help and advice with this problem, '88 E-38-200. Sailed from Marathon to Port Charlotte last spring and hauled out for the summer while I went back to Canada. First time hauling out in Florida and was advised to fill up the fuel tank while it was up on the hard for the summer. 3 weeks later got a call from the marina office that my bilge pump was pumping diesel fuel over board. I asked them to go in and have a look and sure enough the bilge was filled with fuel and it spilled over onto the cabin sole, fuel guage read about 2/3rds. They emptied out the bilge and next day it was full again once again emptied out the bilge by hand, fuel tank just 1/3rd now. Yard manager advised me to let the fuel leak until it stops to get an idea of where the leak may be. Well after about 3 wks the tank finally emptied itself. I have never had any fuel in the bilge in 3 yrs and the bilge was bone dry for 4 days while prepping the boat for summer storage. I just got here to Port Charlotte and now faced with the daunting task of trying to figure out the origin of this leak. I'm having a hard time believing there is a hole in the tank all of a sudden like that. I will obviously start by checking lines and fittings tomorrow. If any one has any advise on how to tackle this I am open to reading all your idea's. Thanks

tenders

Innocent Bystander
It is hard to imagine a scenario where this is happening and there is NOT a hole in the tank.

Corrosion never sleeps with steel or aluminum - the leak might not be from water per se, it could be a piece of metal bumping up against the tank causing galvanic action, etc.

My boat's on its third tank since 1991 - two steel and the current one (stainless).

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
It is hard to imagine a scenario where this is happening and there is NOT a hole in the tank.

Yep. Not likely it is going up the pickup tube and out somewhere else. My money is on a hole in the tank due to corrosion. I replaced the tank in my boat four years ago for the same reason.

clp

Member III
I'm not sure about your boat specifically, but on mine the fuel tank is higher than the engine, and if the fuel hose leaks, or otherwise comes loose at the injector pump, it will siphon every last drop out of the tank.

lindaloo

Member II
Adding fuel to the .......

Standard procedure in such cases is to add some fuel to the tank then go below with flashlight and observe. Half a gallon via jerry-can should do it.

If it is the tank, the haulout and the slight hull flexing due to slings and stands could have triggered the failure at an already weak point.

Mind you, sailing or motoring in a quartering sea can cause lots of torsional flexing, so ........ who knows.

My tank sits directly on the hull, behind the engine. It is original, circa late 80's, and aluminum.

Great, one more thing to feel paranoid about !

Rob

skywalker

Member II
Had look around today and spoke with the yard manager who took care of the fuel leak while I was away. He feels that there is a good chance that it could be a hole. Great idea's from all of you. I will check out that injector pump line, thanks. I already thought about spreading some flour or cornstarch around the tank and add some fuel and watch for leaks. Someone else suggested pumping air in and listen for a leak. More to follow tomorrow. I have a lot of mould to wipe up first.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Leak after haulout

I hauled my 1978 E29 in 2007 and had gas in the bilge a few days afterward. The attached photo is a section of the gas tank that was just under the pickup tube.tank 001 text.JPG

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Huh - interesting. Yeah, I'd vote for corrosion also - especially given the sudden nature of the leak - and consistency in draining.

Let us know what you find!

//sse