• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bomar opening port lights circa 1985

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have four opening Bomars (N3410, discontinued) that are in very good mechanical shape, but with fatally crazed lenses.

As far as I can tell, nobody here has ever succeeded in replacing the lenses since Pompanette stopped servicing them. Paul Hazen at Bomar could not suggest a solution, and Select Plastics can't help with Bomars.

I aim to give lens replacement a try; if anybody has been there, for better or worse, please let me know.

bomar 2.jpgBomar 1.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the cut out size is OK, you might consider changing to Lewmar ports.
Those composite ss/plastic ones from New Found Metals are nice looking, too.

:confused:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
From the picture there is an obvious seam in the frame at the top, there are crimp marks at the bottom center on the backside of the frame, is there a seam there? If so the frames should separate and then the lens could be replaced. The frame could not be shaped around the lens so some way the lens was installed after the frame was formed.

Good Luck.

jcabell

e38 Skipper
E38 Interested in This Project

I have the same crazing issue and similar/identical portlights with my 1985 E38. I did try to remove the window at the hinge, but that ended up in frustration. I have considered pulling out the rubber gasket and popping the lens to see if a local glass fitter can make a new lens, but I am concerned about being stuck with a bigger, nonreversible leaking issue if I do that. Maybe this is the best route, though. Any other suggestions would be great.John CabellSV Navy BlewTopping, VA

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This morning I received this note from Paul Hazen at Pompanette, who has been quite helpful. I had asked him why there wasn't a small business in fixing up this series of ports. HIs reply is not very encouraging:

The gasket was placed around the lens and then two halves of
extrusion capture both . It was then staked with key stock and riveted .

Getting it apart and then putting it back together is close to
impossible.These are the first extruded ports that Bomar ever made. Many
revisions had been made to the N3000 series before it was retired. Unfortunately
we ran out of extrusion/gasket along time ago and would forced to buy an
unbelievable amounts of both to carry the parts again .

Cleaners are the culprit with internal checking of the acrylic .. Of course the sun and
heat play a role as well . Be very careful what you
clean the lenses with - mild soap and water is the best . I also wish you could

save the ports as they are in good shape otherwise

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"No user serviceable parts inside"

Well, now I feel better about buying four new opening portlights. The Bomars, as everyone predicted, were simply not designed for lens replacement. The lens bracket halves are held together by an inserted aluminum key, which was crimped (with a punch) to fasten it. It's necessary to drill this apart, which pretty much destroys the unit. I suppose all this could be overcome, and I could make new lenses out of expensive Lexan or something else. Fugetaboutit. New Lewmar basic opening ports of the same hole size are currently $183 apiece at WM.

Tim Reilley suggested taking the old ports out in any case, for inspection. It may not be the hatch seal that leaks, but the installation. In my case he was right on: removing the Bomar inner plate, I was amazed to see daylight. The ports had been installed with very little white sealant, and the end-grain of the veneer was exposed to any water incursion. I'll seal that with penetrating epoxy before new veneer and ports.

Some photos for the next guy who comes along:

Attachments

• Bomar 2.jpg
    Bomar 2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Bomar 3.jpg
    Bomar 3.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Bomar 4.jpg
    Bomar 4.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Bomar  1.jpg
    Bomar 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If the leaking was due to a lack of sealant or failing sealant around the flange, I don't understand the need to destroy the portlight.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The lenses were crazed, ugly and just about opaque. What I needed to prove (to myself) was that lens replacement really is impossible. A pity, because the frames were sound and quite attractive after 27 years.

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Now that I’ve cleaned up everything else, the port lights are calling to me. I must resist.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Now that I’ve cleaned up everything else, the port lights are calling to me. I must resist.
Filkee: I tried resisting...but relented to PortVisors....you can then open the ports when raining, open the ports when sun is shining, no one can see in and the breeze flows. Once installed, the crazing is not noticed from inside or out. Just an option....low cost easy way out to give more time and $$ to more important matters.....which are many in my case!
www.seaworthygoods.com

1911tex

Sustaining Member
They go on with tape?
Yes a 3M foam adhesive tape, plenty strong; however, I followed up with a clear marine epoxy sealer over the tape, you can't see the sealer, it's in a groove..just my anal way of doing things. Installed 2 years ago...no problems.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Filkee: I tried resisting...but relented to PortVisors....you can then open the ports when raining, open the ports when sun is shining, no one can see in and the breeze flows. Once installed, the crazing is not noticed from inside or out. Just an option....low cost easy way out to give more time and $$ to more important matters.....which are many in my case!
www.seaworthygoods.com

I bought and installed these on all opening port lights last summer. They've been one of the best investments I've made, especially with no AC on board. My only way to keep cool is with fans and ventilation. Being able to keep the ports open - in all but the most torrential of rains - has been a godsend. And no dripping inside from the dew or rain when opening the ports either. I didn't use any sealer over the tape, but did use a 3M primer pen on the surface above the ports before affixing the PortVisors. Aside from being crazed, which doesn't bother me, my Bomar ports are in great shape. I use AGS SIL-Glyde on the gaskets a couple times a year to keep them plumped up.