• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cruising California's Channel Islands.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I was wondering if there are any other Ericson owners that have cruised the Channel Islands extensively. I have a E-27 in San Pedro and am planing to go to Santa Cruise and beyond next July or August with a couple other same sized boats.

My experience with the Channel Islands is some what limited. I have been to Smugglers/Yellowbanks about 5 times, Scorpion Cove once on Santa Cruz Isle. and to Frenchy's on Anacapa Isle. Those trips were all on a 22' swing keel when I departed from Channel Islands Harbor. This trip will take a bit longer because I will be coming from San Pedro, about 75 miles south of Santa Cruz.

My questions are:

1) Would it be best to go to Marina Del Ray the first night and then to Channel Islands Harbor before I cross the channel to the islands, or go directly from San Pedro or Marina Del Ray?

2) I would also like to know are there good anchorages on the "Windy Lane" side of the island such as Prisoners Harbor?

3) Is it best to stay on the lee of Santa Cruz if I want to go on to Santa Rosa? What are the best anchorages on Santa Rosa?

Please understand that I have some experience at these islands and have researched quite a bit. I have read Brian M. Fagen's Cruising Guide twice, but I would be interested in getting some first hand advice.

Thank You