• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hydraulic to Cascading Backstay Upgrade

Pokey

Member II
When I purchased my 911SE this last summer, the Navtec backstay adjuster was in bad shape. It was gonna cost about $325 to rebuild the unit, assuming nothing major was busted.</SPAN>

So I replaced the greasy piston and wire backstay with a double ended, 24:1 cascade, spliced to a dynex dux backstay. The system works great. It’s much lighter, more reliable, and adjustable by the helmsman or main trimmer, from their station on either tack. Cost for the system, if you paid list for all the blocks and line would be a bit more than the cost to rebuild the Navtec unit. But who pays list? And I count the cascade as a major upgrade to the hydraulic system.
</SPAN>
Originally I built it with 16:1 purchase, but felt it took a little too much juice to harden up.
</SPAN>
The low friction ring at the top cascade is a good alternative to an expensive high-load Harken block. Although a 40-Series Garhauer block would also be an economical but heavy choice. You could also go with Garhauer for the double and triple blocks. But their small standup and cheek blocks don’t compare to the Harken carbos.
</SPAN>
Hope this helps others weighing the cost to rebuild their hydraulic backstay adjuster.

Backstay Diagram, Olson 911SE.jpgdeck med.jpgDeck wide.jpgLow Friction Ring.jpgMed Wide.jpg</SPAN>

Slick470

Member III
Well done Pokey. Thanks for the write up and including the pictures and diagram. I think that I'll seriously look into this the next time our hydraulic needs rebuilt, which at this rate will be sometime next year.

Pokey

Member II
Thanks Andy,

Just finished cascade systems for the outhaul and vang today.

I'll post some info on them when I get afew mins.

Reese

I know this is an old thread, but wondering if others have done the same. Pokey? You still out there? Still own the boat? Would you do anything different if you did it again?
Looks like one of the Seattle boats has a very similar setup: backstay.jpg

Slick470

Member III
Pokey ended up selling his boat to someone local to his area. He was really excited about the boat and got it for a steal at an auction, but unfortunately didn't quite get the buy-in he needed from his family. It happens. There is a thread with is write-up on it here somewhere. As far as I know, the new owner hasn't shown up on these forums yet.

I have his notes from this thread saved off if I ever decide to go that route, however my hydraulic backstay adjuster is still going strong *knock on wood*.