bowsprit retrofit, thoughts??

jamnet

Member I
I’m toying with the idea of retrofitting a deck mounted retractable bowsprit and a top down asym spinnaker furler to an Ericson RH36.
Is this a good idea or a bad one??
Any input would be appreciated.

CTOlsen

Member III
Bowsprit: Great idea!

I added a Sparcraft sprit on my Olson 34 in 2010 and love it. Sparcraft makes a good product, but their customer service is horrible. Because they couldn't offer a longer sprit extrusion than the stock kit allows, I ended up going to Forte for a carbon fiber extrusion, using the Sparcraft hardware. It's retractable, and easily removable, and doesn't foul the anchor locker when retracted.
See....Profile Crop mini.jpg

MarcusJtown

Member II
I like that setup! Do you mind if I ask what the whole deal cost? And why did you end up needing a longer than stock sprit? To clear the anchor locker?

CTOlsen

Member III
Sprit envy

In the fall of '09, I was involved in an accident which broke my spinny pole in half, necessitating replacement. I had also been considering replacing my spinnaker since it was the original 20 year old chute which was showing some age. Given the need to invest in a new chute, and the new need to replace my pole, I did some research and decided on going Assy, with a deck mounted sprit. Several options are available, but I opted for the Sparcraft kit because it is easily removed, and retractable.

Sprit 2with text.jpg
The stock Sparcraft alum extrusion only allowed a 2" extension beyond the stem.

Sprit deployed.jpg
I wanted to stick the sprit out there for cruising and racing (and take the PHRF hit), so I had Forte make a custom CF pole. Total cost of stock Sparcraft kit is about $800.00, another $750 for the Carbon Fiber pole. I also purchased a new chute ($2500) , and made some structural improvements underneath the bow fittings (which I was able to do myself). Running rigging mods (installation of the tack line) may also necessitate a clutch and fairlead eye (not yet installed in this picture).

Sprit parked.jpg
The end result has been great. it offers a lot of power when racing, and is easy to cruise with my wife using a sock. Also, can be retracted when not in use allowing free access to the anchor locker.

Run Side mini.jpg
Makes for a lot of fun, fast cruising, and for a modest 3 sec/mile hit, offers speed advantages when symetricals can't fly the chute at tight angles.
CTO

MarcusJtown

Member II
To reply to the original post, I think it's a great idea. I currently have an asym in a sock (actually, the Quantum loft currently has my asym, since I blew it up....) but no bowsprit. Jibing is tough with the asym tacked right to the bow. It's in the loft now because during our last race it got caught up on the forestay, pulled us over pretty good, then blew the head off. The top down furlers look slick too, but I think I'll go for the sprit first, and maybe a furler next season. I like the idea of being able to just roll it up, jibe, and unroll, especially when shorthanded.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Jamnet,

I can recommend adding a sprit and a furler for your asymmetrical. Selden is another company that makes a retractable sprit. I went the cheap route on my E27 and made a retractable sprit using an old 3" spinnaker pole ($25 on Craigslist) and an older continuous line furler found on ebay ($35). It's amazing how light weight the newer continuous line furlers are compared to the one I got on ebay.

Bamar makes an asymmetrical spinnaker furler and it looks like they are now making one with an adjustable tack. Here is a video I stumbled on; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEMXh4uxwcU&feature=rellist&playnext=1&list=PL09D8996BBB6759AE

The advantage (to me) of furling the spinnaker over using a sock is that all the sail handling is done from the cockpit. You can deploy/furl the spinnaker single handed and it is ready to use at any time.

There are a couple of photos of the sprit/furler on my boat in the Community - Albums area of the web site under Lotus Flower.

jamnet

Member I
bowsprit

Thanks for all the info and input. From all the positive replies I think I'm going to do it.
Thanks again.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Bowsprit and A-sail Furler - Yes!

I'm planning to do the same thing on my E36RH. One thing you need to consider is clearance at the masthead for both the jib furler and A-sail furler top swivels. Since our rig is a relatively tall aspect ratio, the halyards all converge nearly parallel near the masthead. Extending the sprit far enough ahead of the forestay will get the A-sail furler top swivel out ahead and away from the jib furler. This will also allow for a larger A-sail and deeper downwind angles, but this will affect your racing rating so you need to consider the details of sail size and sprit length if you plan to race in this configuration.

You will need to consider how the sprit will interface with whatever anchor setup you have. This is not an issue for racing or daysailing but for cruising, it would be ideal to be able to rig the sprit and A-sail furler and still access your anchor easily. The sprit will have to be totally removable or at least retract past the aft edge of the anchor locker in order to allow the anchor locker to open in the stock configuration (the O-34 pictured has much more space outboard of the anchor locker than the E36RH).

Mark

jamnet

Member I
bowsprit

Excellent points Mark. I was concerned with the space at the anchor well, but never even thought of the exit points at the masthead. I was looking at the KSF1 furler from Karver and one of the Selden bowsprit kits, any thoughts, would this be a good choice for a RH36?
Thanks
Ross

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Ross,

The Selden and Karver looks like it would be a nice setup. The stumbled upon video of the Bamar asymmetrical furler with the adjustable tack line inspired me to contact Bamar to see if it was an available product. It is. They sent me pdf's of the brochure and price list. I'll see if I can attach the brochure here... I can't.

Sean or Loren, if you are following this thread, is there a way I can post a PDF in a forum message? Should I upload it in another section of the web site?

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mark,

I've uploaded PDFs just like images in the past. Don't know if there is a size limit.

Ross,

I am leaning toward the Karver, BUT, I haven't looked at any others in detail yet. I see from the Karver video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=2kqlStOI4DA&NR=1
that the top swivel is actually quite small so the limiting factor at the masthead may be the sizes of the furled jib and A-sail heads. I have a new Quantum loadpath/laminate 150 genoa that is quite stiff and doesn't furl that small in diameter at the top. I do see that the J/105 in the video is using a KSF-2 size furler and the J/105 A-sail is smaller than an E36RH's would be. The Karver does allow locking the drum and using a single line drive which is simplier. It also allows a tack line which is nice for deeper angles.

You didn't say if you plan to race with the A-sail/furler setup. If not racing with it, I would go for a longer sprit and bigger A-sail than allowed by the racing rules UNLESS you are in a high wind area. I'm in the Chesapeake where I will optimize the sprit and new A-sail for less than 10 knots. I have an old North Gennaker in a sock that I am flying off the bow roller now that I can use in higher winds as well as a full set of symetrics I can fly with the pole. I think the limiting factor is the max length of the sprit you can use without needing a bobstay. Obviously, your typical wind and the size of your A-sail will determine the load on the sprit.

Mark

markvone

Sustaining Member
A few pictures of my bow using spin pole mockup

IMG_1794.jpgIMG_1803.jpgIMG_1795.jpg

Ross,

Here are a few pics I took when I mocked up a sprit with my spin pole. I think I might be able to fit the outboard fitting on the stbd side, outboard of the anchor locker lid and just fwd of the stbd bow cleat. I think now I will try the sprit further outboard, just outside the bow pulpit support, not inside like in the picture. I would really like to keep the port side anchor roller area free to carry my Bruce anchor when I cruise AND open the anchor locker AND keep the sprit deployed but I suspect I don't have room. I will probably have to remove/retract the sprit to open the locker lid.

Another point I noticed from the picture below is that the sprit will have to be extended far enough forward to clear the bow pulpit overhang when using an A-sail furler. This is not an issue for me now when tacking the A-sail to the bow roller with no furler/torsion line to foul the pulpit but it would be an issue with a furler. You can also see how the halyards converge as they rise to the masthead. One spin halyard is on the end of the extended pole and the center jib halyard is attached to the tip of the pulpit.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,791

sjconnor

Simon Connor
Bowsprit plus Anchor Roller for Olson 34

Hi,

I recently built a mounting plate for an Anchor Roller and the Mounting Ring for the Selden removable Bowsprit. This design which bolts onto the toe rails allows me to remove it if I want to when needed, I can also reposition the fittings if really needed too by simply drilling more holes in the mounting plate. The plate is made of 5mm Stainless Steel, using M6 bolts.

photo 1.jpgphoto 4.jpg

I was inspired to proceed with the bowsprit by Craig Olsen who's modification looks awesome.

I looked at all sorts of Anchor rollers and ended up following the advice of Loren - the pin design clinched it for me and this unit is fairly reasonably priced.

Looking forward to testing it out soon and using it on the sail down across the equator in Feb.

Cheers,
Simon.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 682
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think I posted this video link somewhere on this site but thought I would link to it here for reference on this thread. I hope to get a better overall video view of my setup someday. This was a very light wind day (5 knots?) -light wind makes setting the asymmetrical more difficult, not much help from the wind :).
http://youtu.be/EZnW0xefRz0

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Link to a similar thread

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-Sprit-Installed-(finally!)&p=98006#post98006

It looks like more vendors are entering the A-Sail market.
Perhaps the days of the symmetrical spinnaker as a "standard' light air sail for average sailers... are numbered... (?)

Heck, it's only been a decade ago or so that the process of buying a sailboat would come with an initial decision whether or not to buy a tri-radial spinnaker with the whole associated hardware package.

Time flies... oh yup it do.
:rolleyes:

Loren