trans. problems

reflections

Member I
I have a 32-300 in which I replaced the engine 300 hrs. ago. After only 150 hrs. the trans. failed. It was replaced with a new one that Engines One said was larger & better. They did not pay anything saying it was out or gaurantee by a few months. WELL the new one is now slipping after only an
other 150 hrs.!!!!!

Anyone have the same problem? AGAIN the claim it is out of warrenty. THis time they will see us in court.

WE followed the manual & always shifted to reverse when sailing. Forgot to say it is a Universal 25.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I don't know if this will help, but our Hurth 50 transmission was slipping, so we replaced it several years ago with a Twin Disc transmission, hoping all would be well. In the last three years, we have had two episodes of slipping in the transmission, and we only have about 500 hours on the new transmission--the first slipping happened in the first year. Both times I noticed that the fluid was a purplish colour, rather than cherry red like when it is changed, even though the hours on it were only about 70 since it was last changed. So I changed the fluid and it ran fine after that. I now change the fluid about every 50 - 60 hours, much more often than the manufacturer suggests, but it seems to need that to run properly. It only takes about a cup of tranny fluid, so it's cheap to change it, and I do it myself, so there is no labour.
I know this doesn't sound ideal, but maybe your new transmission also needs to be "babied" a bit like this.
Frank

lindaloo

Member II
One more voice .....

My experience with a Universal M25XPB repower matches yours, exactly.

The ZF10 is just not up to the job. It may be a Hurth by a new name but does not last like the Hurth.

You get the first 10 hours of smooth running before you hear rattling in neutral, which gets gradually louder as the hours progress.

Between 100 and 150 hours it slips. Changing the oil delays the inevitable.

Universal actually put a new gearbox and coupler in under warranty. The coupler is a more compliant and expensive piece, to try and smooth out torsional vibration. That was the theory. Didn't work though. New one's doing the same thing. I had 10 hrs of blissful non-rattling silence before it started.

The new 3 cyl Kubota engine is actually quite nice, runs smoothly and quietly. I find it hard to blame the engine.

I don't run the boat hard, it is conservatively propped, with a 3 blade Michigan. I run the cool air fan for the engine compartment.

Frank, surprised to hear about your Twin Disc MG340. A recent thread recommending the larger MG360 seems a better bet.

Bottom line, can't recommend new Universal unit.

Rob

E34 Alia
Vancouver, BC

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I have a 32-300 in which I replaced the engine 300 hrs. ago. After only 150 hrs. the trans. failed. It was replaced with a new one that Engines One said was larger & better. They did not pay anything saying it was out or gaurantee by a few months. WELL the new one is now slipping after only another 150 hrs.!!!!!Anyone have the same problem? AGAIN the claim it is out of warrenty. THis time they will see us in court.WE followed the manual & always shifted to reverse when sailing. Forgot to say it is a Universal 25.
We have the same boat and same motor. Our Hurth died last winter, was rebuilt then immediately died again. The yard put in a new ZF10 for free.I have to check but I'm sure we've put more than 150 hours on ours so far and no problems. They did put a new damper in with the tranny though. Good luck I know it's frustrating.Rick

reflections

Member I
Hurth address

Does anybody have an address for hurth trans. I need it for my lawer!!! All I can find are dealers & they do not co-operate.:0

lbertran

Member III
ZF Marine Contact Info

I dealt with thier office on Kent Island in 2008 when I replaced my slipping Hurth50 with a ZF10. Almost 400 hours later, still doing well. No problems so far. Knocking wood, my head, and anything else I can knock around here.

ZF Marine, LLC

345 Log Canoe Circle, Stevensville, MD 21666

Phone 410 604-3320, Fax 410 604-3391

richard.bowles@zf.com

reflections

Member I

thanks, I give them a try. seems zf hurtz tries to stay hidden. guess if they made better trans. they could come out in the open. i never got such a run around.

lbertran

Member III
Reflections, Is Your Boat at Casa Rio?

We haul out for the winter there every year and will be there again this November. As I said, we've had good luck so far with the ZF10. Good luck with your transmission. Maybe we'll bump into each other this winter.

reflections

Member I

we haul out at Casa Rio in Nov. also. may run into each other. Chuck mentioned to us that he replaced another boat with a Zf10.

lbertran

Member III
Zf 10

It was actually Bayshore Marine that did the work on our boat. But Chuck was aware of it as he does our winterization.