• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Outboard Woe's

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Outboard Woe's

I have a 2002 Yamaha 4hp, 4 stroke Long Shaft outboard that's been on the Fritz since mid July. I have maintained and babied this little engine for the last 10 years, although I do have carburetor problems about every two years because of the ethanol content in today's unleaded fuel. I always flush it with fresh water and run the fuel out of it when I plan to store it for any length of time. I add fuel stabilizer to the fuel, but most always use fresh fuel, but this season I have had a lot of problems. After dragging this engine on and off the boat two different shops and spending $329. on repairs that got me no where I decided to trade it in at Regency Outboards in Marina Del Rey for a 2007 Mercury 3.5 hp 4 stroke. They charged me $750. for the newer engine and gave me $400. for my old Yamaha so I was out another $350.

Be aware of these bad businesses! They fixed nothing and offer no guarantee on their work!

Yelp Review I posted on Sunrise Marine, San Pedro, CA

After a horrible experience with the Outboard Shop at Two Harbors on Catalina Island that set me back $149. and fixed nothing, I still needed to get my 2002 Yamaha 4hp 4 stroke outboard running. Sunrise Marine assured me they could service my Yamaha although the sign out front said they were a Mercury dealer / service shop. The problem with my engine was that it would only run at about a quarter speed. Well they found that the thermostat was stuck open and they also rebuilt the carburetor that had supposedly already been rebuilt at Two Harbors. Sunrise charged me $180. for these repairs. The first day I got the engine back on the boat it ran great for about a half hour, then it was back to the same, running at quarter speed. I took it back to Sunrise and they were blaming the problem on me, telling me that I must have a bad hose or I was running bad fuel through it. They had me bring the fuel tank and hose in, and they both checked out okay. I tried the engine again and still running at quarter speed. I went back to Sunrise and showed them a video of the poorly running engine and they had no answer as to why. The Guy just shrugged his shoulders and said I don't know what to tell you, basically giving up on my engine and not offering to refund my $180. There hourly rate is a outrageous $130. per hour where the Yamaha dealer up in Marina Del Rey is only $95. per hour. My advice is to stay away from these people, especially if you have anything other than a Mercury, even then be cautious. I feel ripped off, BIG TIME!

Letter to Two Harbor's Enterprises Outboard Shop:

Not happy with the service at your Outboard Shop. I am sorry to say I am not happy with the service at your Outboard Shop. This was my 37th trip sailing to Catalina and the over all service from the Harbor Department, Harbor Reef, General Store and other amenities has always been great. I have been sailing to Two Harbors for the last 10 years, and this is the first time I decided to let your Outboard Shop work on my dinghy outboard, a 4hp 2001 Yamaha. I was reluctant to take it in to your shop because I knew it would be expensive, but I did not have the abilities to service the motor on my boat and I wanted to enjoy my dinghy while on my vacation.

I took it in to your shop and told Wayne & Ken that I thought it was the fuel pump, but they assured me that the carburetor just needed to be serviced and gave me an estimate of $160. I thought that was a pretty steep price and told them I would think about it. Well after about an hour I made the decision to take it in for service. Well it took the better part of the day to get it repaired, and when I finally did get it back, Wayne & Ken said it looked like it was the fuel pump, because after they worked on it was running worse than when I brought it in. They told me that they did not carry parts for Yamaha's and that I should have bought a Honda or a Mercury, Oh Brother I thought. They told me that Avalon carried the parts and I asked if some one in Avalon could put it on one of the Ferry's that go between Avalon and Two Harbors and they just said no. They also were trying to pitch me the "West End Cruising Club" deal and said I wouldn't need a dinghy because I could get the shore boat advantage with the "West End Cruising Club" deal.

I reluctantly took the motor and paid my bill of 149.19. I got back to my boat and said to myself, this is not right. What did I just pay $149.19. for, a motor that runs worse than when I took it in? So I called Wayne and he told me that out of the kindness of his heart, if I brought it back in at 8am the next day he would try to rebuild the fuel pump. Well I went back the next day and dragged the motor back up to the shop. Left it there all day, when I finally was able to pick it up Wayne told me he had not even tried to service the fuel pump. Once again, the motor was still not running right (even worse). Both Wayne & Ken, told me repeatedly that I should have known that they only service and carry parts for Honda's and Mercury's and I should have known that and owned one. They also recommended that I buy a motor from them.

If Two Harbors is going to provide a Outboard shop service, I don't understand why they would not carry parts for all major manufactures of outboards. Wayne also told me at the beginning, that he doubted that it was the fuel pump that the motor would not run at all, even at idle, but it did run at idle.

I have been sailing to Two Harbors for many years now and I have a lot of sailing and boating friends and I promise you that I will not be recommending they ever even consider using Two Harbors Enterprises, INC. Outboard Shop. I feel that I just flushed 149.19 down the toilet and now I still need to have my Yamaha outboard serviced.

:soapbox: :mad:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
We're really sorry to hear about your experiences.

Do you know if Two Harbors lost Tone in the shop ? If they did that would be one of their dumbest moves to date, he's a near-genius with engines from our personal experience and also second hand accounts.

BTW, have you tried increasing the throttle and pulling out the choke at the same time (babying it) to get higher power ? That worked for us and when we told Tony he said that was a clogged fuel injection system and got us some injector cleaner ... took care of that problem. We actually powered all the way to Catalina with the choke and throttle balanced on La Petite until he gave us the cure. He did say if it was bad enough the cleaner would not be able to penetrate and get rid of the problem.

Once again, hope it works out better for you !

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
We're really sorry to hear about your experiences.

Do you know if Two Harbors lost Tone in the shop ? If they did that would be one of their dumbest moves to date, he's a near-genius with engines from our personal experience and also second hand accounts.

BTW, have you tried increasing the throttle and pulling out the choke at the same time (babying it) to get higher power ? That worked for us and when we told Tony he said that was a clogged fuel injection system and got us some injector cleaner ... took care of that problem. We actually powered all the way to Catalina with the choke and throttle balanced on La Petite until he gave us the cure. He did say if it was bad enough the cleaner would not be able to penetrate and get rid of the problem.

Once again, hope it works out better for you !

-Sven

Yes, tried everything imaginable. Two tech's at Two Harbors (bozo's) and two tech's at Sunrise (I never saw) monkeyed with it. It's gone now, with a bunch of money. "I decided to trade it in at Regency Outboards in Marina Del Rey for a 2007 Mercury 3.5 hp 4 stroke. They charged me $750. for the newer engine and gave me $400. for my old Yamaha so I was out another $350.

Nope, did not meet any one named Tone at Two Harbor's. $130. bucks an hour to fix nothing at both places, give me a break, my auto mechanic only charges $60. and my truck has 6 cylinder's, not just one. I am now a "Yelper"!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Outboard woes

The carbureted outboards can't tolerate ethanol. I found the marinas up here (Northwest) sell non ethanol gas. The outboard has been much happier since switching to it. Also Pettit Oil sells non ethanol gas. Not only your outboard will love it but your garden equipment will be much happier also. Bob :nerd:

dt222

Member III
Aviation Gas

Are you able to purchase aviation gas out there? I have been running Mo gas in my A4 all season-it's ethanol free and I can purchase it at a local small airfield. It's $4.90 a gallon but I use so little of it, it's worth the piece of mind.<br><br>Don

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Av Gas

Don, Yes I can. I live close to an airport but AV gas is $5.50 a gal out here. The Marina gas is $4.00 and the Pettit gas (local truck stop supplied by Pettit Oil) is $4.25. I have switched not only my Honda outboard (1978 model) but all my garden equipment and my two old sports cars to it. All are much happier. The only ones I see that are happy with ethanol are corn farmers and Senators. Bob Morrison Terra Nova (E-34-2)

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Be careful with using aviation fuel... tried to run it years ago in the race car for the higher octane but found that it runs very, very hot. airplanes run at a high altitude where air temps are often below freezing so the formulate the fuel for that condition, not sea level. Edd