• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Deck Step Base Plate Mounting - E26

SalteeBob

While removing the factory Base Plate for the deck stepped mast one of the bolts snapped. I got the other 3 out, but am unsure if they are just threaded into epoxy or if there is a nut or backing plate they go into?
I am trying to drill the bolt, it is very hard so I think its stainless and use an extractor but can't seem to get the easyout to bite into the drilled bolt.
Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

SalteeBob

Further to previous Post

Just to update anyone that might have to deal with this problem.
I drilled out the broken stainless steel stud with a cobalt drill bit, it worked very well but is brittle and snapped.
Fortunately I was through the bolt by then.
The broken bolt would not come out with an easy-out, so I drilled it out totally.
It appears that the bolt was threaded into epoxy only, there was no evidence of a nut or plate.
The bolt came through the cabin roof very close to the mast step supposrt post, but it is accessible by unzipping the liner and reaching in as far as possible.
I am thinking that I will just put in a longer bolt with washer and nut to secure that corner on the mast step.
An option might be to fill the hole again with epoxy and tap it for 1/4".

Any thoughts on what would work the best?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Good work to get the bolt out! If it were me, I would put a longer bolt in with a large backing washer or plate, a lock washer and a nut. Given the stresses on the mast, I think any reinforcement holding the plate in place is a good idea, even if technically it's not entirely necessary.
Frank

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I had mine out on the E29 a few weeks ago. I concur that they was just threaded into epoxy. (Likewise the handrail bolts were just threaded through into the inside handrails with no nuts.) However there shouldn't be any forces pulling out on that fastener, just minor sideways forces. And the laminate under there was more than 3" thick. Drilling all the way through would seem to introduce a possibility for water intrusion.

SalteeBob

Thank you for the replys.
I think Franks method makes the most sense to me at this point.
I have allready had to completely drill out the original ss bolt, so I have a 1/4 hole through the coachroof.
I don't have any idea why the one bolt snapped off while the other 3 came out fairly easy.
The easyout wouldn't budge it, even when I had a sufficient hole drilled into the broken bolt.
My bigger concern at that point was a broken easy-out in the hole.

A lock washer and a backing washer or plate should be do-able.
I understand what you are saying about the water getting in Toddster, but didn't have a lot of options.
Would putting some 4200 sealant in the hole help with keeping the water out?
The only other thing I can think of is epoxying the hole and retapping it back to 1/4 thread.
I was told using a Helicoil would introduce carbon steel and a stainless bolt, which isn't good.

Just for information, the existing bolts are 1/4 X 1 1/4, and I punched through the coachroof at about 1 1/2 inches on my E26.
Toddsters E29 at 3" is much heavier built.
I agree the forces laterally should not be significant, probably raising and lowering the mast using the pivoting step will be higher.
Thanks again.

Last edited: