• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Factory Non-Skid Color Question

mediabeach

E35 - Mark II 1977
I have a great 35-2 based in Newport Beach and the factory non-skid is like new - except that it is faded.

Is the non-skid a gelcoat? what is this material?

Once I understand that, I feel that I can tackle restoring it to near new condition.

If it weren't non-skid, I would just do my normal auto detailing tricks and it would be perfect.

But it would also be slippery.

I want to restore the color but not defeat the purpose of the non-skid.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Dan

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Not certain what your desire is

Dan,
One labor intensive suggestion I could make is to test a small area with rubbing compound applied with a small brush and see what color you expose, can't sand it obviously and this method would be an immense job with a toothbrush!
I inherited the coating I use on my deck. When I bought (Dina G) LAYLA II in 2005 she came with a quart of #30 Taupe http://www.kirbypaint.com/index.php
I would suspect the nonskid profile on your deck is most likely similar to mine and yes it would be a gelcoat masked and initially applied to the deck mold.
The PO obviously was looking for a bit more contrast or perhaps some fading and perhaps as with your situation, got him inspired. First off the paint I have used/ subsequently replenished from George Kirby Paints finishes almost matt, it's a very high solids enamel and I apply it with a brush, brushing it out extensively so it does not fill the texture. Between the nonskid profile of the deck and the paint surface itself it provides a very non-slippery surface. I'm going to say the deck has been painted at 5 year intervals and it pretty much covers in one coat. Since the 31 is a bit of a different style I elected to paint the entire deck and cabintop surfaces this last time out summer before last. The deck is molded in panels and was contrasting between the non-skid color and the framing. I did it all.
I suspect a coating like this tends to age over the entire surface and with oxidation tends to erode off pretty uniformly, ie: not just from the top of the texture. The cockpit floor and bridgedeck I would say have been recoated at perhaps 3 year intervals taking obviously more direct wear.
Last option I guess would be application of a complete new non-skid surface, and provides an altogether different appeance and texture.
DSC_0044RR.jpg

mediabeach

E35 - Mark II 1977
Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks Greg,

Layla is looking GREAT.

I also like the way you've mounted your instrument cluster at the helm.

Very nice,

Dan