• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-3 - Leather cover for the YS Wheel

Mindscape

Member III
Wondered if anyone has covered a wheel with leather. I'm considering it on my 1985 32-3. I believe it's a Yacht Specialties wheel, 42 inches in diamater. I looked at some info from a company called boatleather and it looks pretty simple, but I'm always leary so anyone with experience let me know. Also does anyone know the circumference of the wheel 42" wheel on the 32-3?

Mitch

Member I
Wheel Leather

I just finished sewing a leather cover on the wheel of my E-27. My wheel is much smaller than yours, but the project still took FOREVER. The actual sewing was very time consuming. I didn't order precut leather. I measured, cut, and prepunched it all myself and then sewed it on. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I can't stress enough how time consuming the stitching was. I did a baseball stitch using two needles and waxed thread. Now that its finished it all seems worthwhile, but I had some serious doubts in mid-project.
If you are up for the project I'd be happy to write out some more explicit instructions, but just know that it will take a while. I probably have 6 hours of stitching into my wheel.
I'm looking forward to warm hands next summer and a good grip on the wheel.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Seems like you're following in my footsteps! Yes I put a Boatleather cover on my 42" wheel when I first got the boat (1996). Nice company. The cover is great and has held up well. However, you are in for many hours (4 to 5?) of stitching and your fingers will get sore. The cover is properly sized, pre-punched and will just stretch over the wheel. Boatleather sends the cover with double sided tape that you apply first so that the cover does not get twisted while you are stitching. I have an acquaintance who is a traveling salesman and he took his wheel with him in the winter and would stitch in his hotel room at night. However, I did mine on the boat.

After I got my mast repainted, I bought a leather cover for the mast too (attached with Velcro to be removable). Kind of an extravagance but it looks really nice and does deaden the sound of the internal halyards somewhat since I am using a thin foam backing.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Looks like I should get started

Based on the posts it looks like I should get started now - maybe I'll be done by the time I launch in the spring!! Maybe a couple of weeks of finger excersises before I get started.

Mitch/Geoff - what color did you get and how does it look - any pictures? Geoff - I think I'm building a library of pictures of your boat so I have examples of the projects I'd like to do!!

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Sorry, no pictures. For the wheel I just went with the buckskin "natural" color which is basically grey. If I do it again, I will probably get something a little snazzier like the navy blue.

Mindscape

Member III
Almost done

I'm actually just about finished with this project and thought I would add my 2 cents to Mitch and Geoffs comments.

I used a kit from Boatleather and it was great to work with. I was able to talk to a guy from boatleather at the Chicago Strictly Sail show and they were very helpful. I got to watch him put a cover on a wheel at the show. Practice obviously helps, it went on quickly. He set me straght though and told me my 42" wheel would take me a long time. If you can afford it, it might be worth it to send your wheel to Boatleather and have them do it.

Don't underestimate the time it will take and how sore your fingers will get.

Practice the three stitches you'll need to know. The starting stitch, the herringbone, and the tie off stitch. If you are comfortable with the start and end you can use shorter lengths of thread, which seemed to go faster than trying to pull lots of length thru each stitch.

I mounted my wheel on a sawhorse using a piece of a broom handle and it worked well. I used a clip on light to provide good lighting, which you need. My cover was buckskin suede and sometimes the pre-punched holes were hard to see. Good lighting was critical (it couldn't be my age and my eyes getting worse, I'm sure).

The end result looks and feels great. All of Mitch and Geoff's comments were right on. The boatleather kits use a different stitch than Mitch used.

escapade

Inactive Member
one more suggestion

I put a Boatleather kit on my 30+. Spent winter evenings in front of the idiot box doing it. Total time was in the 5 hour range. Definitely worth it on those long overnight crossings. I found that wearing my sailing gloves helped tremendously! Much easier on the old fingers when pulling the thread tight!
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 Escapade