• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Account Temp Restricted" Title - What Is It?

clp

Member III
Because, I AM the dumbest man alive, here goes. What is with the "titles", contributing member, junior member, etc?
And some folks on their name says, "account temporarily restricted"? Were they bad? Rude? And do they ever get reinstated?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Just curious.

clp

Member III
I sort of thought it would be insolence, or belligerence. Or maybe bought a Macgregor. Thanks for the link, I read what Sean said about it, and liked the fact that the majority couldn't care less. I was just kinda curious. There's a site somewhere, where they give you ranks, like in the Navy or something. It was so hokey, I about gagged..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I sort of thought it would be insolence, or belligerence. Or maybe bought a Macgregor. Thanks for the link, I read what Sean said about it, and liked the fact that the majority couldn't care less. I was just kinda curious. There's a site somewhere, where they give you ranks, like in the Navy or something. It was so hokey, I about gagged..

Well at least I can relate to that Navy part....
I was once a Petty Officer, and "petty" is defined as "small and insignificant" !
:)

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Account Temp Restricted

That title is tied to the 'Bounced Mail User' classification - which is the classification which the server changes users to when their mail bounces and comes back to the mail server (and me).

We do this because when a server issues mail for bad email address within a particular frequency - then our site - and our mail servers - get blacklisted. So - when mail bounces, accounts get locked down and the title changes...

We recently changed these titles to "Inactive Member" - and I'm working on a SQL script to change the others over....

//sse

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
And here's an example right here - came in as I was typing the other message:

On 8/2/12 9.02 PM, "Mail Delivery System" <mailer-daemon@concentric.com> wrote:

This is the ConcentricHost(3.5) MX program at host spiteful.concentric.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The ConcentricHost(3.5) MX program

<xxxxxxxxx> (expanded from <xxxx@xxxxx.com>):
Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=XXXX.XXXXX.com type=A: Host not found

So, in this case, the server sent out birthday greetings - as it does every day - and this one bounced as it's email server has disappeared - or it's URL has changed. Most often it's because people have changed email accounts and not updated their profile - sometimes they've sold their boat and don't participate on the boards anymore...but other times people intentionally change their email addresses to BAD addresses - in an attempt to reduce spam - or - if they're hackers - or if they're spammers. Doing this is pointless - as we don't sell/rent/mine data of our users - and when the server catches it (and it always does) - it just locks out the account for obvious reasons.

Because of this, this users account becomes (now - the new title) "Inactive", their subscriptions are deleted (that is, the notifications for existing threads are ceased) and their notifications are stopped for personal messages. Basically - all email related to this account is ceased so bouncing mail will stop.

It's basically just the daily cleaning and pruning of accounts - very normal. :egrin:</xxxx@xxxxx.com></xxxxxxxxx></mailer-daemon@concentric.com>

The way around all of this: Update your profile with a current, legitimate email address. It's a requirement of membership at EY.o

Last edited:

eknebel

Member III
Sean, just another aspect of the time and energy you put into this site. It has been invaluable to me, helping to maintain and improve an oldie but goodie. Your efforts are appreciated!!!

clp

Member III
Wow, I think that's the first time ever I've got a reply from an administrator. I feel sort of honored. I will agree that the updated title sounds a little less "ominous". Most of those older posts I read sounded friendly, and informative; I just had the feeling something was going on "behind the lines" that I wasn't privy to. (Us paranoid people are like that).
But, thanks for the feedback, and my thanks as well for a most excellent website, AND all you Vikings!