What is the height of an Ericson 27?

Shaun

Member I
Hello,

How do I determine the height of my Ericson 27' from waterline to the top of the mast? I have it moored on a river with wild tidal swings and we have to go under a couple bridges to get it out to the Puget Sound. The lowest bridge has 53' of clearance at high tide, otherwise I have to wait until the tide is lower, or have them raise the bridge (which is limited at rush hour.)

Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's an answer...

Often, the best method is the simplest one...
Boats can vary - standard rigs, tall rigs, sometimes even a custom spar by a prior owner.

"Paging Mr. Occam, Please report to any white phone in the terminal!" and "Bring your razor."
:nerd:

Get out your 50' tape measure.
First, measure from the edge of the deck to the waterline. Note that.
Next, attach the tape end to the main halyard shackle (and Do also attach an additional piece of line to pull that halyard back down in case the tape disconnects).
Run it up to the black band or as near top as practical, and measure that distance. Write it down also.
Now, get back on the dock a ways and with you binnoculars estimate the remaining distance to the top of the vhf antenna, or Windex. Probably another 3 or 4 feet.

Added up, you have Your "air draft." This might be the same as many other sistership hulls, and maybe not.

And then, the step I sometimes forget ---- write it down, plastic-cover the little form, and tape it to the Nav Table. :rolleyes:

While you might get useful information off the 'net, you do *not* want to be someday bemoaning the loss of a $400. wind sensor and a $100. vhf antenna based on what you read on the 'net.
:(

Loren

ps: we have lots of low bridges around Portland, too!

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
As Loren has said, there are many variables. For an estimate, though; Add your "I" dimension to the distance from the waterline up to your shearline (the toerail or deck to topsides joint), which you can easily measure with a tape. Then add an estimate for the VHF antenna above the masthead. That is a good estimate. Online figures for your E 27 are 32.5' for "I". add ~4-5' for the shear height & 3' for the antenna. Sounds like around 40'.

Info from;

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=680

OK, it's just a WAG, but it can get you started.:egrin:

E-27 mast height

You're good to go as is. I have taken my E-27 under 40-foot fixed bridges time and again. It always looks closer than it is. I never touched the VHF antenna or the Windex on a bridge, and both stick up above the mast. My guess is that my mast was 38.5 feet. With the extras. Regardless, I hated to look up. Definite pucker factor.

Shaun

Member I
You're good to go as is. I have taken my E-27 under 40-foot fixed bridges time and again. It always looks closer than it is. I never touched the VHF antenna or the Windex on a bridge, and both stick up above the mast. My guess is that my mast was 38.5 feet. With the extras. Regardless, I hated to look up. Definite pucker factor.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I talked to the Harbormaster at the marina and he gave me the phone number of the bridge keeper for the bridge I am concerned about. He said if we are unsure, to call the bridge keeper via cell from the boat, and they will tell us if they need to open it or not.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I talked to the Harbormaster at the marina and he gave me the phone number of the bridge keeper for the bridge I am concerned about. He said if we are unsure, to call the bridge keeper via cell from the boat, and they will tell us if they need to open it or not.

One important legal point to keep in mind: The bridge tender (and highway dept, municipality, or railroad) will NOT be liable for damage to your rig. He will only tell you the overhead clearance at the disignated "high point" for his span in closed position. It's always up to the vessel's captain to know his clearance needs (i.e. air draft) at any stage of tide or water level.

We use the official vhf channel (13 where we boat) to contact the tender. Backup plan is to use their phone number. Alternative is the prescribed horn/whistle blast seequence to request an opening.

And there's more... as they say on TV.... many bridges will have a large vertical set of printed numbers on a piling or abutment facing traffic on each side showing overhead clearance. As the water rises, the numbers are covered up, foot by foot, so the you might see the '48' revealed at low tide, and as the tide comes in and water rises up the scale of numbers only the '40' might be showing at high water. Around here these numbers are over a foot tall, black on white background, and easy to see.

Loren

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Maybe you should send that link to those guys trying to figure out how to get the USS Ranger up the Columbia. Let me know if they're gonna try it!!

eknebel

Member III
Mark,
What a great video! I thought I was pushing the evelope putting the wife out on the boom to free the keel! I wonder about the engine oil pickup at that angle, which appears to be 45 degrees.
You shoud clear that bridge with room to spare, an E-30+ has 46 ft vertical clearance, but Loren is right to suggest measuring it on your boat. It is a good number to be sure of, since same models can have variations as they get older. I know that I have developed "varations" myself as I have aged:)