E 30+ info on mast / Tabernacle ?

eknebel

Member III
I have never heard of it on a E30+, but tabernacles are used successfully on large sailing barges in the UK. It would take quite a bit of design and modification, making sure the added side stays were positioned correctly to apply tension the entire time the mast is being raised.
Moving the bridge that is in you way might be easier:)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I have a hinge plate made of 1/2" aluminum per the plans in the E29 manual. I use the boom as a gin pole and have a 15' aluminum tube I have a block mounted at the top and a winch at the bottom to help lift the mast to 45 degrees and lower from 45 degrees. I do this on the trailer that has a setup for the "marlin pole as I call the giant fishing pole . The mast on the E29 is fairly large and is about 37’ If you would like I can post detailed pictures

Attachments

• 018_18.jpg
    018_18.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,999

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Thomas,

Welcome. Is the 30+ deck stepped? If so it can be tabernacled. Are you dropping the mast daily or seasonally? Here in Santa Cruz CA the majority of sailboats under 35' have been setup with a tabernacle system to enable transit under a bridge from the upper harbor.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My mast is not tabernacled (is that a real word?) but I am curious if having a fractional rig (the 30+) or a masthead rig makes a difference. What about if you have a roller furling jib?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Mark,

In general a fractional rig would be no different than a masthead rig when designing a tabernacle system for a deck stepped mast. The only issue might be an aft swept spreader. With the spreaders angled aft and no backstay I usually see the mast dropped aft rather than forward like a straight spreader/backstay rig.

If you are tabernacling on a regular basis the furler needs to be plastic (flexible), something like a CDI or Schaefer Snap Furl.

A couple of important design areas are; a "hinged" section in the upper shrouds - inline horizontally with the mast base pivot point and a bridle to hold the boom centered when lowering the mast. The bridle goes from the aft end of the boom to the "hinged" point on the uppers. You also need to have a disconnect in the backstay that reconnects with the aft end of the boom and a way to release the aft lower shrouds. Oh, and a block and tackle (mainsheet?) or winched line connected to the end of the boom to lower the mast.

Here are a couple of photos of the upper shroud hinged point that I am trying to describe :)

tab2.jpgtab3.jpg

TJA

Tabernacle Thanks , I will be up in Santa Cruz this weekend, ty .

[Thanks Mark , I will be up in SC on Sunday , I know the bridge !

All the best.

TJA

QUOTE=Mark F;77440]Hi Mark,

In general a fractional rig would be no different than a masthead rig when designing a tabernacle system for a deck stepped mast. The only issue might be an aft swept spreader. With the spreaders angled aft and no backstay I usually see the mast dropped aft rather than forward like a straight spreader/backstay rig.

If you are tabernacling on a regular basis the furler needs to be plastic (flexible), something like a CDI or Schaefer Snap Furl.

A couple of important design areas are; a "hinged" section in the upper shrouds - inline horizontally with the mast base pivot point and a bridle to hold the boom centered when lowering the mast. The bridle goes from the aft end of the boom to the "hinged" point on the uppers. You also need to have a disconnect in the backstay that reconnects with the aft end of the boom and a way to release the aft lower shrouds. Oh, and a block and tackle (mainsheet?) or winched line connected to the end of the boom to lower the mast.

Here are a couple of photos of the upper shroud hinged point that I am trying to describe :)

View attachment 11636View attachment 11637[/QUOTE]

seajunkie

Member I
Mission Bay

All of the larger sail boats at the Mission Bay Yacht Club in San Diego are set up the way Mark describes. Are you looking to sail out of Mission Bay? Most have either an electric winch or a 4:1 or 6:1 purchase on the rigging attached from the boom to either the winch or to a recessed pad eye attached to the deck. A block attached to the pad eye allows you to route the line to a winch. My fractional e28 is set up this way at the MBYC. Local riggers seem to charge between $4,500 and $8k to set a boat up this way.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi TJA,

When you are in SC you can get a good idea of tabernacled setups by looking at any of the boats in the upper Harbor, the away from the ocean side of the bridge. I'm in slip L7 temporarily while N dock (my permanent slip) is being replaced due to the tsunami damage. If you see me and you have time stop by and say hi.