• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

My E-41 is now sailing after many years of rest.

sveinutne

Member III
Hi to all,</SPAN>
I have not been very active at this forum for some time, but now I would like to make an update.</SPAN>
Most of you might not remember my story, so I will make a short recap. I bought an Ericson 41 on EBay in 2009, but the boat was in Tampa Florida and I in Norway. Sailing it across the Atlantic was forbidden by my wife, and I am glad she did after inspecting it. I had the boat shipped to Norway and placed in my garden for two years, than late in 2011 it was put back into the water, but with no mast. On Thursday my son helped me put the mast back on the boat, and we tightened the wires. On Friday we hoisted sail for the first time and gave it a test run. To my surprise the boat was very easy to steer and it picked up speed till we passed 8 knots of speed in 10-15 knots of wind. I did not want to push it too much before the wires have been inspected by professionals. </SPAN>
From my first sailing experience in an Ericson I feel good. It was only one other sailboat out on the fjord, and I manage to outrun it.</SPAN>
So I am very pleased.</SPAN>

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Svein,

That's great news, congratulations! Eight knots of boat speed in 15 knots of wind, nice. But no photos - that's not like you ;-). How did you step the mast?

sveinutne

Member III
I was more into sailing than taking pictures, but I did find one. If you look close you can see the hull number 26 in the sail.
More pictures will come when I manage to take some.
We have a 17 meters tall crane in the sail club that is ment for stepping mast and fixing things in the mast top. My son and a friend gave me a hand when we did it.

Attachments

• juli 185-s.JPG
    juli 185-s.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 534
Last edited:

sveinutne

Member III
Transporting the mast from my garden to the sail club was almost more challenging than stepping the mast. I had a friend follow in his car just behind with the emergency lights on. I was pleased we did not meet the police on this transport.</SPAN>

Attachments

• juli 143-s.JPG
    juli 143-s.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 559

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Is that trailer twin mast schooner or Ketch rigged? I can't tell by the picture.

Seriously that was a great way to support the mast for transit. Glad that went well and no problems from the police on the way to the marina. Congrats and happy sailing.

sveinutne

Member III
This is fun. Did more then 8.5 knots today, and manage to outrun a sailboat that was making 8 knots. What is realy interesting is that I stil only use a small jib, and the boat can still lean a lot more before the water gets up to the deck, but I will not push it befoe the gooseneck and rig has been inspected.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Congrats

Congrats on getting her back under sail, Svein - please do post images when you can - and enjoy the season! :egrin:

//sse

sveinutne

Member III
Thank you Sean,</SPAN>
Today I tried the 190% Genoa, and in very light air it is perfect. The forecast is 5 till 10 knots of wind the next five days in the fjord, so I will have time to test it several times.</SPAN>
I will post pictures as soon as I get some.</SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
Here I am testing the Genoa (190% or something), but it does not feel too large in light air. I need to tailor in a new #5 or #6 to fasten the sail to the roller furling system, but I wanted to test the sail before cutting it. It is 10-15 cm too long, so I will ask if it is possible to put in a new clove in the top a little lower than the one in use now. </SPAN>
The boom is also in wrong position, but I am not sure how high it should be. In the mast there is an opening where you can enter the gooseneck, and then it can slide up or down. I think it should be sliding up and fastened, but the track was damage there, so I slide it down for now. Now with the boom below this opening in the track it is easy to enter the clips that fasten the sail to the mast, but the mast has like a small door that can be opened 40 cm up in the track where the sail clips can enter the track in the mast.</SPAN>
I will have to ask someone in for advice on this.</SPAN>
But it was fun sailing the Ericson 41 in light air and some breeze. How it will be in strong wind I will wait to test till everything is in place.</SPAN>

Attachments

• 2012-07-27_16-2s.jpg
    2012-07-27_16-2s.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 481

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nice!

It's been a Long time coming! Great to see that lovely boat out sailing!!

Gotta say, that's the most overlap I have ever seen on a headsail.
I do know of a few guys that have old ('70's) 162% and 170% overlap gennys stashed in a closet, but none that large.

What a graceful shear line your classic Ericson has.
:egrin:

If not done or planned already, you may want to get a pair of the stock Ericson decals on the hull (graphics file available on this site). Other sailors are going to ask you about your pretty boat.
:)

Fair Winds,
Loren

sveinutne

Member III
Mark,</SPAN>
You got a good look for details. Yes, it will soon be changed with a #5 to fit in the furler, but I wanted to test the sail before cutting and remaking it. And I see it was made for an E-41 without a furler. Now it is 15 cm to long with the furler, but the weather forecast is very light wind for the next week, so I will use it till the weather forecast change till breeze. Then the other foresail will be fine, and this sail can be remade.</SPAN>

sveinutne

Member III
Loren,</SPAN>
I tried to search for “decals”, but all links was broken, or maybe it was only me.</SPAN>
If you got a link to a nice Ericson decals, it would be nice.</SPAN>
Regards Svein</SPAN>