• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dough elbow

Sven

Seglare
I probably baked more than half of the bread we ate while out for our 2-month shakedown. A super simple french baguette recipe that I'd found on line before we left.

1 cup water
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp yeast
2.5 cups of flour

I'd let it rise for 30 minutes, covered in a bowl with a tiny bit of olive oil to grease the outside of the dough.

Then I'd split the dough in half and turn the two halves into ~12" loaves. This is also when I'd start the Origo oven to warm up with the 1/2" thick stone in the bottom (it is always there for thermal inertia and to even the heat).

I'd let the loaves rise for 40 minutes after making the cuts in the loaves. I'd cover the dough whenever it was rising and put the loaves up behind the Origo in the galley to make sure they were comfortably warm from the oven. We have a perforated non-stick baguette pan that holds two loaves but that's probably not really needed.

Since we don't have the fridge hooked up yet we don't have any eggs to brush on the loaves but I'd brush on some olive oil sometimes or just a tiny bit of water.

At 40 minutes the Origo would be close to the 210-220 °C that seemed to give the best crust (410-430 °F) and we'd pop them in the oven for 25 minutes.

The result was usually very much appreciated but I have developed dough elbow from manually kneading so much and that really hurts when I need to grab something with my left hand, or paddle or row or ... . The two loaves would only last a day unless we rationed ourselves :0

Once I also added salt and salt instead of salt and sugar, but that's another story :rolleyes:

-Sven