• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Single Handed to Hawaii, June 30 , Olson 34 Red Sky

brianb00

O - 34
Hi All,

For your amusement you may enjoy the spectacle of 25 boats single handing to Kauai from San Francisco. There will be hourly position updates via the Single Handed Transpac 2012 website. I know of one Ericson - Olson 34 going along as I am the pilot.

Regards,

Brian

windjunkee

Member III
Whitall Stokes (Slacker) and Jerome Samarcelli (Pogo 2) from my club are both racing.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

Sven

Seglare
For your amusement you may enjoy the spectacle of 25 boats single handing to Kauai from San Francisco. There will be hourly position updates via the Single Handed Transpac 2012 website. I know of one Ericson - Olson 34 going along as I am the pilot.

Enjoy !

Maybe we'll see you out there ? Haven't decided yet if we are ready.

BTW, how are you getting back ? We'd be going north, not sure how far, maybe Vancouver, maybe not.

-Sven

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Hi All,For your amusement you may enjoy the spectacle of 25 boats single handing to Kauai from San Francisco. There will be hourly position updates via the Single Handed Transpac 2012 website. I know of one Ericson - Olson 34 going along as I am the pilot. Regards,Brian
Wow!Have fair winds and good luck!I will follow you progress from Florida.

brianb00

O - 34
Whitall

Whitall Stokes (Slacker) and Jerome Samarcelli (Pogo 2) from my club are both racing.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

HEllo JIm,

I just inspected Whitall's ride, he is good to go. Weather prognostications, while a bit early, are looking mild.

Brian
RedSky

brianb00

O - 34
Return Trip

Enjoy !

Maybe we'll see you out there ? Haven't decided yet if we are ready.

BTW, how are you getting back ? We'd be going north, not sure how far, maybe Vancouver, maybe not.

-Sven

Hello Sven,

My plan is a return encircling the great N Pacific trash pile. Probably go up to 38N or a bit more depends on top of High Press. system. Spend a day or two motoring through the plastic sea and keeps eyes peeled for debris from the Japan tsunami (does plutonium float ?). I will depart Hawaii on Aug 5th as I want to attend the Pacific Cup party at Kanehoe Bay and buddy back with some friends on a Pac Cup return trip.

Brian

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Bon Voyage

Lots of solid respect from here!
I just did a delivery up the WA coast last weekend with three other guys. While a Hawaii trip remains on my "bucket list" I would no way have the moxie to do it alone.
When we were riding a fresh southerly with a building sea early Sat am in pitch darkness, I would not have wanted to be doing that alone, sleep deprived! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, my best wishes for a fast and safe trip to all of the entrants.

Loren
(living/sailing vicariously in Oregon...)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Beam Winds!

Beam Winds and a safe passage to you Brian! Please take photos of those synthetics in the sea for us to see. :egrin:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The June issue of Latitude 38 has a list of the participants and I believe there is one Ericson and at least two, maybe three Olsons.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Brian does very well

I did a quick screen grab from the race tracking site.

Loren

Attachments

• O-34 Brian race finish.jpg
    O-34 Brian race finish.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 689

Charlie B.

Member II
2nd in 30 Something Class and 3rd or 4th Overall

Congratulations Brian for the solid race! You saved your time on the ultra-lights, but looks like the Cal 40 had a killer rating for the conditions of this race.

From the tracker your course looked pretty straight, so I guess your home brew autopilot served you well! Fill us in on some of the details when you get a chance. What worked well for you, what things you would do differently etc. How did you keep the batteries charged in all thatr cloudy weather.

Charlie
Olson 34 Baleineau

windjunkee

Member III
The two boats from my club did very well. Whitall Stokes (Slacker) placed 1st in 30 somethings and 2nd overall. Slacker is a Tartan 10. Also Jerome Samarcelli on Team Open Sailing (Open 4.70) placed well in his division.

It was great following along with the tracker and their reports.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

brianb00

O - 34
Olson 34 back in SF Bay

After 6 weeks at sea solo-ing around the Pac High I finally got back. Quite an experience actually. The trip home was full of large floating objects, somewhat alarming, given I could not watch out for it all.

The ride down was thrilling, terrifying, sleep deprived, and exhausting. One's mind is constantly occupied with tactics/weather/boat issues/sail sets and sleep is hard given all that consumes your thoughts.

The ride back a bit more relaxing but saw an overturned 20' skiff, hit two rather large encrusted logs, and sailed past far too many pieces of homes or offices/buildings that I assume were part of the Tsunami. Things like parts of walls, a refrigerator, endlass plastic bottles of various sizes, and of course glass net balls (see attached).

It is quite thrilling, in some insane manner, to put up a 3/4 oz kite on day 4, turn on your trusty AP, and hit the sack. For something like 7 days I ran with the kite up night and day sleeping until either an alarm sounded (AIS/RADAR) or the boat woke me up complaining about it's course/wind angle.

So what failed ? Both spin guys are now about a foot shorter due to wear. One spin halyard was shortened, jib halyard now needs to be shortened, broke topping lift on final 24 round down, and tore 1 kite to bits in same round down. RM AP LInear drive unit gave up its plastic gears after driving about 2000 miles of the 5000 I traversed. The hydraulic unit I installed did the bulk of the hard driving and still runs just fine. I only had to add about four tablespoons of fluid over the entire course. I have to say in the windier segments and the heavy sea segments the power of the hydraulic ram with a type 1 pump was outstanding. Both the my own electronics ,the BB model 1 gyro based AP. and RM AP brains did great jobs of driving.

The combination of AIS and Radar gave me lots of confidence in reasonable safe watch keeping, probably unfounded confidence, but it was a single handed race. I had a really loud electronic alarm that I kept next to my head. I routinely would sleep through it after the 3rd day! The boat would wake me if conditions changed much and an indicator of how constant it can be out there was me sleeping 5 hours beyond the alarm setting at least 3 times. THis was in the middle portion of the race, when winds were in the 15 to 20 range. The boat would just hum along and the AP would sing a soothing tune.

I won't bore all of you. Two photo's are attached of a) day one out the gate and b) glass net balls are really out there.

Brian315.jpg7646522166_5f9e93f595_o.jpg

Last edited:

brianb00

O - 34
Whitall and Gerome

Jim,
They were both out there. I saw Gerome, the mini, 3 times. First was a dark and squally night about 1/2 way. The 2nd was the last night, and about 5 miles from the finish he appeared and we drag raced to the finish line. Whitall on Slacker failed to live up to his boat name. I chased him across the course endlessly. A great guy that can push a boat.

Brian

The two boats from my club did very well. Whitall Stokes (Slacker) placed 1st in 30 somethings and 2nd overall. Slacker is a Tartan 10. Also Jerome Samarcelli on Team Open Sailing (Open 4.70) placed well in his division.

It was great following along with the tracker and their reports.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA